Find the Best College Physics Textbook for Physics 112 and Beyond

In summary, I think that you should look into College Physics by Randall D. Knight, Brian Jones, and Stuart Field, as well as Giancoli's Physics for Scientists and Engineers. If you're looking for websites to help you learn better, try CONCEPTUAL PHYSICS.
john16O
Right now I am currently in physics 111 and I have to take physics 112 next semester and than after that I am finished with my physics courses. Well, we are using College Physics by Randall D. Knight, Brian Jones, and Stuart Field. In my opinion the book is very lacking, especially in the examples department. So I was wondering if you guys could recommend a very thorough textbook with some good examples and covers 112 along with 111. Thanks in advance for your recommendations!...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I think you have to make clear what physics 111 and 112 covers.

Go to your college library and see what other intro physics books they have. Serway is pretty popular, as are Halliday & Resnick. While I don't recall any of the three (Knight included) having more examples than the other, between the three you might get what you're looking for.

john16O said:
we are using College Physics by Randall D. Knight, Brian Jones, and Stuart Field.

There are two kinds of "general physics" courses and textbooks: ones that use calculus and ones that don't. Which kind is this one?

Course numbers are different from one university to another, so "Physics 111 and 112" doesn't tell anything about which kind of course you're taking.

Non-Calculus Based: I found Giancoli's Physics to be quite good.

Calculus Based: I've heard good stuff about Resnick/Halliday (which is the textbook I'm going to be using this year). Giancoli's "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" might also be a good textbook to look up.

sorry for not being more specific on what type of physics course it is...physics 111 and 112 are the non-calc based...sorry again and thanks!

At UMass, people studying to be a Physicist use Young & Freedman (pictured above). As an engineering major, I used Halliday/Resnick/Walker for Physics I & II. I'm still using it, re-reading chapters as I learn more in Multivariate. Both texts are Calculus based. I haven't looked at Young/Freedman, but I love my Halliday/Resnick/Walker text. My text is definitely more "applied". It's interesting to read, the in-chapter examples are great, but the end of chapter exercises are kinda dry at times. Oh, and EXPENSIVE!

I am also using the book College Physics: A Strategic Approach by Randall D. Knight, Brian Jones, and Stuart Field. I was wondering if there are any good websites to help me to learn better and get more examples. I am not great at Physics, especially when I have a teacher that isn't too willing to help. I can go to my old high school teacher, but I would like to do as much on my own as I can, and still pass Physics.

Young and Freedman is definitely very helpful...
my classmates have downloaded a solutions manual of that book over the internet and it has definitely helped in studying...

if you want to self-study in physics... there's this book entitled CONCEPTUAL PHYSICS and it teaches physics in a very layman way... very helpful if you want to grasp the concepts before getting into the calculus part.

Related to Find the Best College Physics Textbook for Physics 112 and Beyond

1) What criteria should I consider when choosing a college physics textbook for Physics 112 and beyond?

When selecting a textbook for Physics 112 and beyond, it is important to consider factors such as the author's expertise, the level of difficulty, the availability of supplemental materials, and the relevance of the content to your specific course objectives.

2) Are there any textbooks that are specifically recommended for Physics 112 and beyond?

While there is no one "best" textbook for all students, some commonly recommended textbooks for Physics 112 and beyond include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker.

3) Are there any online resources or reviews that can help me compare different textbooks?

Yes, there are several websites and online forums where students and professors discuss and review different textbooks. Some examples include Physics Forums, Reddit's r/PhysicsStudents, and the Physics subreddit. Additionally, many textbook publishers have their own websites with information and reviews of their products.

4) Is it worth investing in a newer edition of a textbook or can I save money by buying an older edition?

It ultimately depends on the specific textbook and course requirements, but in general, it is recommended to purchase the most recent edition. Older editions may have outdated information or lack important updates and revisions. Additionally, newer editions often come with access codes for online resources, which can be crucial for success in the course.

5) How can I determine if a textbook is appropriate for my course's curriculum?

You can start by looking at the table of contents and comparing it to your course syllabus. Additionally, you can ask your professor for their recommendation or consult with other students who have taken the course before. It may also be helpful to browse through the textbook in person or online to get a sense of the writing style and level of detail covered.