Find the area of the loop using Green's Theorem

Then differentiate to find dy/dt = t. This is the correct method for solving for area. In summary, the conversation is about solving for area using a specific method. The person asking for help is having trouble understanding the method and asks for clarification. The expert suggests starting by following the directions in the problem and then using substitution to find the solution. The person confirms they are on the right track.
coolusername

Homework Statement

Problem in attachment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately I was unable to attend my only class where my proffessor taught this method of solving area. Plus my prof and classmates won't help me.

Does anybody know how to solve area using this method?

Attachments

• Scan Apr 5, 2014, 12_05 PM-page1.jpg
    Scan Apr 5, 2014, 12_05 PM-page1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, as a start, you can't go wrong by following the directions in the problem statement.

Why don't you try that and see what happens? You can always ask a follow-up question if you get stuck along the way.

y = tx

dy/dt = x

dy = xdt

I don't know what x should equal in terms of t.

Am I on the right track?

coolusername said:
y = tx

dy/dt = x

dy = xdt

I don't know what x should equal in terms of t.

Am I on the right track?

Put y = tx in the original equation to get x in terms of t.

Related to Find the area of the loop using Green's Theorem

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed curve to the double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. It is a powerful tool in calculating areas and evaluating line integrals.

2. How is Green's Theorem used to find the area of a loop?

To use Green's Theorem to find the area of a loop, you must first parameterize the curve that forms the boundary of the loop. Then, you can use Green's Theorem to convert the line integral over the curve into a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. This double integral will give you the area of the loop.

3. Can Green's Theorem be used for any type of loop?

Yes, Green's Theorem can be used for any type of loop as long as the curve forming the boundary of the loop is smooth and can be parameterized. This means that the curve must be continuous and have a defined direction of traversal.

4. What are the advantages of using Green's Theorem to find the area of a loop?

Green's Theorem provides a simple and efficient method for calculating the area of a loop. It also has the advantage of being applicable to a wide range of loop shapes and can easily be extended to higher dimensions for more complex shapes.

5. Are there any limitations to using Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is limited to finding the area of loops in two-dimensional space. It cannot be used for shapes that are not closed curves, such as open curves or surfaces. Additionally, the curve must be smooth and the vector field must be continuous for Green's Theorem to be applicable.