Find the area of a triangle with vector sides

In summary: Try this:And at the end of your calculation, check your result to see if it matches the one I've prepared through Herron's formula here:(1/2)*sqrt(2\sqrt(14)+2\sqrt(66)+2\sqrt(29)) \approx 2.936908289.ABAnd at the end of your calculation, check your result to see if it matches the one I've prepared through Herron's formula here:(1/2)*sqrt(2\sqrt(14)+2\sqrt(66)+2\sqrt(29)) = 2.936908289
thomas49th

Homework Statement

Find the area of the triangle with vertices at the points with coordinates (1,2,3), (4,-3,2) and (8,1,1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well area of a triangle is 0.5 x base x height . We can get the length of each side by taking the modulus of each vector, but the problem we have is finding the height. We need to find a the point where a line between 2 vectors cuts the other vector at 90° (the base)

How do we find this line?

Thanks
Thomas

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Thomas! :smile:

Hint: area = absinθ = a x b :wink:

you mean it's simply the "cross product" or "vector product". Of course
axb = |a||b|sinx e

(where e is direction +/-)

do the modulus make any difference?

I would simply the determinant rule for finding it

i j k
1 2 3
8 1 1

-i + 23j - 15k

then take the modulus

sqrt(755)

Right?

Thanks
Thomas

thomas49th said:
do the modulus make any difference?

I would simply the determinant rule for finding it

i j k
1 2 3
8 1 1

-i + 23j - 15k

then take the modulus

ooh yes, I left out the | | symbols! :redface:

yes, that's the right method, but you've only found the area of the triangle formed by points 1 and 3 and the origin, haven't you? :wink:

thomas49th said:

Homework Statement

Find the area of the triangle with vertices at the points with coordinates (1,2,3), (4,-3,2) and (8,1,1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well area of a triangle is 0.5 x base x height . We can get the length of each side by taking the modulus of each vector, but the problem we have is finding the height. We need to find a the point where a line between 2 vectors cuts the other vector at 90° (the base)

How do we find this line?

Thanks
Thomas

Well, this may not be what your exercise is all about, but you can try "[URL formula[/URL].

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
ooh yes, I left out the | | symbols! :redface:

yes, that's the right method, but you've only found the area of the triangle formed by points 1 and 3 and the origin, haven't you? :wink:

Tim, havn't I got to half it to get that area :) Right? How does that help though. :cry:

I can remember from my A levels that there are position vectors, which are relative to the centre, direction vectors and I think they have a parameter in them telling you how far "along" the vector to go. I'm getting myself confused over the basics. :sigh:

Anyway thinking about it again it's the area = 0.5 |AB x AC|

a = (1,2,3), b = (4,-3,2) and c = (8,1,1)

AB = b - a
= 3,-5,-1
AC = c - a
= 4, 4, -1

but what does |AB x AC| mean? |AB| x |AC|?

Am I getting there?

@ Altabeh - I saw this mentioned on the WIKI page for triangles, though useful as it looks I want I'm having conflicting thoughts and confusing myself with the fundamentals which I want to sort out.

Thanks

thomas49th said:
Tim, havn't I got to half it to get that area :) Right?

oooh, I'm not doing very well on this :redface: … yes, half! :rolleyes:
I can remember from my A levels that there are position vectors, which are relative to the centre, direction vectors and I think they have a parameter in them telling you how far "along" the vector to go. I'm getting myself confused over the basics. :sigh:

Yes, that's right …

the formula for a general point on the line AB is a + k(b - a), for any number k.

(though of course you don't need that in this case)
Anyway thinking about it again it's the area = 0.5 |AB x AC|

a = (1,2,3), b = (4,-3,2) and c = (8,1,1)

AB = b - a
= 3,-5,-1
AC = c - a
= 4, 4, -1

That's right :smile: (except the last one is BC :wink:, but it doesn't matter anyway).
but what does |AB x AC| mean? |AB| x |AC|?

No, it means the modulus of the vector AB x AC (or AB x BC or AC x BC).

So just do (3,-5,-1) x (4, 4, -1), and take half the modulus. :wink:

tiny-tim said:

And at the end of your calculation, check your result to see if it matches the one I've prepared through Herron's formula here:

[tex](1/2)*sqrt(2\sqrt(14)+2\sqrt(66)+2\sqrt(29)) \approx 2.936908289[/tex].

AB

tiny-tim said:

So (3,-5,-1) x (4, 4, -1),

= (12, -20, 1)

= sqrt(144 + 400 + 1)

= sqrt(545)

= 5sqrt(109)

That's not what Altabeh got. Guessing I am the one who is wrong :eek:

thomas49th said:

= (12, -20, 1)

Nooo :redface:, you need the cross product (you did it in your post #3, except you used OA x OB instead of AB x BC)

i j k
3 - 5 -1
4 4 -1

(5 -- 4)i - (-3 - -4)j + (12 - - 20)k

9i -j + 32k

sqrt(81 + 1 +1024) = sqrt(1106) ~= 33.3

i take it I'm wrong, as Altabeh's answer is right? :rolleyes:

Thanks

and take half of that

= 0.5sqrt(1106)

= 16.6

The cross product method is the most straightforward, but you could also use the dot product to find the angle between two sides and use it to calculate the height of the triangle.

[tex]\cos\theta = \frac{(3, -5, -1)\cdot(4, 4, -1)}{|(3, -5, -1)| |(4, 4, -1)|} = \frac{3\times4+(-5)\times4+(-1)\times(-1)}{\sqrt{3^2+(-5)^2+(-1)^2}\sqrt{4^2+4^2+(-1)^2}}=\frac{-7}{\sqrt{33}\sqrt{35}}[/tex]

So

[tex]\sin\theta = \sqrt{1-\cos^2\theta}=\sqrt{1-\frac{(-7)^2}{33\times35}}=\frac{\sqrt{1106}}{\sqrt{33}\sqrt{35}}[/tex]

You can arbitrarily choose one side to be the base of the triangle. The height will then be the length of the other side multiplied by the sine of the angle between them, so you get

[tex]A=\frac{1}{2}bh = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{33}\sqrt{35}\sin\theta = 0.5\sqrt{1106} = 16.6[/tex]

Looks like it's 16.6. :smile:

thomas49th said:

= (12, -20, 1)

= sqrt(144 + 400 + 1)

= sqrt(545)

= 5sqrt(109)

That's not what Altabeh got. Guessing I am the one who is wrong :eek:

No! I was wrong! The correct calculation is:

[tex]sqrt(s*(s-\sqrt{33})*(s-\sqrt{35})*(s-\sqrt{54}) \approx 16.62828916[/tex],

where [tex] s=(\sqrt{54}+\sqrt{35}+\sqrt{33})/2[/tex].

AB

Last edited:
Thomas, you'd better use either my method or vela's! :biggrin:

Related to Find the area of a triangle with vector sides

1. How do you find the area of a triangle with vector sides?

To find the area of a triangle with vector sides, you can use the formula: A = 1/2 * |a x b|, where a and b are the two vectors representing the sides of the triangle and |a x b| is the magnitude of the cross product of the two vectors.

2. Can you explain the formula for finding the area of a triangle with vector sides?

Yes, the formula for finding the area of a triangle with vector sides is derived from the fact that the area of a parallelogram formed by two vectors is equal to the magnitude of their cross product. Since a parallelogram can be divided into two triangles, we can use half the magnitude of the cross product to find the area of one of the triangles.

3. What is the cross product and how is it related to finding the area of a triangle?

The cross product is a mathematical operation between two vectors that results in a third vector that is perpendicular to both vectors. The magnitude of this cross product is equal to the area of a parallelogram formed by the two original vectors. Since a triangle is half of a parallelogram, we can use half the magnitude of the cross product to find the area of a triangle.

4. Do all three sides of the triangle need to be vectors to use this formula?

Yes, all three sides of the triangle must be represented as vectors in order to use this formula. If the sides are not given as vectors, they can be converted into vectors by finding the difference between the coordinates of the endpoints of each side.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the area of a triangle with vector sides?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the area of a triangle with vector sides, such as using the law of cosines or breaking the triangle into two right triangles and using the Pythagorean theorem. However, the formula A = 1/2 * |a x b| is a straightforward and efficient method for finding the area of a triangle with vector sides.