Find the area bounded by the curve #2

In summary, to find the area bounded by the curve x = 6x - x^2 and the y axis, the correct approach is to first find the roots of the function and set those as the limits of integration. Using the even function rule is not applicable in this situation. The correct area is 36 square units.
shamieh
Find the area bounded by the curve \(\displaystyle x = 6x - x^2\) and the y axis.

So can I use the even function rule to get:

\(\displaystyle 2 \int^2_0 6x - x^2 dx\)

I just need someone to check my work.

\(\displaystyle 2 [ 3x^2 - \frac{1}{3}x^3 ] | 2, 0\)
\(\displaystyle
2 [ 12 - \frac{8}{3}]\)
\(\displaystyle 2 [ \frac{36}{3} - \frac{8}{3} ]\)
\(\displaystyle 2 * 28/3\)

= \(\displaystyle \frac{56}{3}\)

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the curve is $y=6x-x^2$ and you are to find the area bounded by it and the $x$-axis. Correct?

Where did you get the limits of integration? What are the roots of the function?

If I wanted to use the even function rule here, I would transpose the graph of the curve 3 units to the left.

I knew I was doing something wrong...

So this is what I should have

6x - x^2 = 0

x (6 - x ) = 0

x = 0 x = 6
\(\displaystyle
2 \int^6_0 6x - x^2 dx\)

which equals 72

Did you read what Mark said? [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} f(x) = 6x - x^2 \end{align*}[/tex] is NOT an even function, as [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} f(-x) = -6x - x^2 \neq f(x) \end{align*}[/tex].

shamieh said:
I knew I was doing something wrong...

So this is what I should have

6x - x^2 = 0

x (6 - x ) = 0

x = 0 x = 6
\(\displaystyle
2 \int^6_0 6x - x^2 dx\)

which equals 72

Your limits are correct, however as Prove It showed, the function is not even, so the factor of 2 you added has doubled the correct result. As I stated, if you want to use the even function rule, transpose the graph 3 units to the left:

\(\displaystyle y(x+3)=6(x+3)-(x+3)^2=6x+18-x^2-6x-9=9-x^2\)

Now you have an even function and you may write:

\(\displaystyle A=2\int_0^3 9-x^2\,dx=2\left[9x-\frac{1}{3}x^3 \right]_0^3=2\cdot18=36\)

Related to Find the area bounded by the curve #2

What is the formula for finding the area bounded by a curve?

The formula for finding the area bounded by a curve is to use definite integration, where the area is equal to the integral of the curve function over the specified interval.

What is the difference between finding the area under the curve and finding the area bounded by the curve?

The area under the curve refers to the total area between the curve and the x-axis, while the area bounded by the curve refers to the specific area between two points on the curve and the x-axis.

How do you determine the limits of integration when finding the area bounded by a curve?

The limits of integration are determined by the x-values of the two points that bound the desired area. These points can be found by solving the curve function for the desired y-values.

Can you find the area bounded by a curve if the curve is not a function?

No, the area bounded by a curve can only be found if the curve is a function. If the curve is not a function, it is not possible to define the boundaries of the desired area.

What is the significance of finding the area bounded by a curve in real-world applications?

Finding the area bounded by a curve is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows for the calculation of quantities such as work, displacement, and profit, which are essential in understanding and predicting real-world phenomena.