Find Sum of Series to Within 0.01

• MHB
  • Thread starter ineedhelpnow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
In summary, to find the sum of the series $\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{[n(ln (n))^2]}$ within 0.01, you would need to add at least 5 terms to the series.
ineedhelpnow
how many term of the series $\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{[n(ln (n))^2]}$ would you need to add to find its sum to within 0.01?

approximate the sum of the series correct to four decimal places.

$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{3^nn!}$

Physics news on Phys.org
ineedhelpnow said:
how many term of the series $\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{[n(ln (n))^2]}$ would you need to add to find its sum to within 0.01?

Because the terms of the sum are positive and decreasing:

$$\sum_{n=N+1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{[n(ln (n))^2]}<\int_{N}^{\infty}\frac{1}{[x(ln (x))^2]}\;dx=\frac{1}{\ln(N)}$$

Thus the error in truncating the sum to $N$ terms is less than $1/\ln(N)$. So if you find any $N$ such that $1/\ln(N)\le 0.01$ the error in truncating the sum to $N$ terms will be less than $0.01$.

Last edited:
ineedhelpnow said:

approximate the sum of the series correct to four decimal places.

$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{3^nn!}$

Because this is an alternating series of decreasing terms the error in truncating the sum is less than the absolute value of the first neglected term.

$$\left|\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{3^nn!}-\sum_{n=1}^{N}\frac{(-1)^n}{3^nn!}\right|< \frac{1}{3^{N+1}{(N+1)}!}$$

So the error is less than $0.00005$ when $N\ge 4$

for the first one:

is this right? i followed another example i saw but i don't know if my work makes that much sense.

$\int_{x=n}^{x=\infty} \ \frac{dx}{x(ln(x))^2}<0.01$

$\frac{-1}{ln(x)}]_{n}^{\infty}<0.01$

$0-(-\frac{-1}{ln(n)})<0.01$

$ln(n)>100$

$n>e^{100}$

i don't understand the second one at all. i don't need to find the error though.

ineedhelpnow said:
for the first one:

is this right? i followed another example i saw but i don't know if my work makes that much sense.

$\int_{x=n}^{x=\infty} \ \frac{dx}{x(ln(x))^2}<0.01$

$\frac{-1}{ln(x)}]_{n}^{\infty}<0.01$

$0-(-\frac{-1}{ln(n)})<0.01$

$ln(n)>100$

$n>e^{100}$

That is correct.

ineedhelpnow said:
i don't understand the second one at all. i don't need to find the error though.
You need to find the number of terms $N$ for which the result of the truncated sum is correct to four decimal places. Which requires that the error be less than $0.00005$

As stated in the previous post this occurs when:

$$\frac{1}{3^{N+1}(N+1)!} <0.00005$$

Which holds for any N\ge 4. Hence:

$$S=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{-1}{3^{n} n!} \approx \sum_{n=1}^{4} \frac{-1}{3^{n}n!}$$

and the approximation is correct to four decimal places.

Except it turns out that we have to be a bit more careful because of rounding to that fourth decimal place, so let's look at truncation to 4,5 and 6 terms, define:

$$S(N)=\sum_{n=1}^{N}\frac{-1}{3^{n} n!}$$

Then $S(4)=-0.2834362139918$, $S(5)=-0.2834705075446$, $S(6)=-0.2834686023472$, so it looks like we actually need 5 terms in the sum to get it to round correctly to 4 decimal places..

Related to Find Sum of Series to Within 0.01

What is "Find Sum of Series to Within 0.01"?

"Find Sum of Series to Within 0.01" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the sum of a series of numbers with a precision of 0.01. This means that the final result should be accurate to within 0.01 of the actual sum.

Why is finding the sum of a series to within 0.01 important?

Finding the sum of a series to within 0.01 is important because it allows for more precise calculations and can be useful in various fields such as finance, statistics, and physics. It also helps to minimize rounding errors that may occur in calculations.

What is the process for finding the sum of a series to within 0.01?

The process for finding the sum of a series to within 0.01 involves adding up all the terms of the series and stopping when the difference between the current sum and the previous sum is less than 0.01. This means that the final sum will be within 0.01 of the actual sum.

How do I know when I have found the sum of a series to within 0.01?

You will know that you have found the sum of a series to within 0.01 when the difference between the current sum and the previous sum is less than 0.01. This means that the final sum is accurate to within 0.01 of the actual sum.

Are there any tips for finding the sum of a series to within 0.01?

One tip for finding the sum of a series to within 0.01 is to use a calculator or a computer program to assist with the calculations. It is also helpful to double-check your work and make sure to stop when the difference between the current sum and the previous sum is less than 0.01.