Find speed given mass, starting speed and time

In summary: Looks like the acceleration of the cart is missing, however, I'm unsure how to calculate it, I need the final speed to do so. Currently I only have the time and the starting speed, and I'm unsure how to get the final one...In summary, to solve this problem, you need to use the formula ##F=ma## to find the final speed of the cart. However, you also need to know the acceleration, which is missing from the given variables. To find the acceleration, you need to use the formula ##a = \frac{v_f - v_i}{t}##, but you do not have the final velocity. This means that something is missing from your diagram - the acceleration of the cart. To
doublev231
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
A cart which weighs 500g is moving on a horizontal table with the starting speed of 7 m/s. At the end of the cart there's a non-elastic wire attached, which is thrown over a pulley, and on the other end of the wire there's a 200g load. I need to find the speed of the cart and the distance it traveled after 5 seconds of movement

Given variables:
m1 = 500g
v (starting speed) = 7 m/s
m2 = 200g
t = 5s

I'm not sure what formula to use there. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
doublev231 said:
A cart which weighs 500g is moving on a horizontal table with the starting speed of 7 m/s. At the end of the cart there's a non-elastic wire attached, which is thrown over a pulley, and on the other end of the wire there's a 200g load. I need to find the speed of the cart and the distance it traveled after 5 seconds of movement

Given variables:
m1 = 500g
v (starting speed) = 7 m/s
m2 = 200g
t = 5s

I'm not sure what formula to use there. Any guidance would be appreciated.

You need to use the homework template and to do as much as you can yourself.

The first step is to draw a diagram. This should help you identify what is important in analysing the problem.

PeroK said:
You need to use the homework template and to do as much as you can yourself.

The first step is to draw a diagram. This should help you identify what is important in analysing the problem.
I tried drawing a diagram, but am still unsure what formula to use here. I need to calculate the speed of a cart moving in a horizontal line but I also need to account for the weight that's attached to the cart.

doublev231 said:
I tried drawing a diagram, but am still unsure what formula to use here. I need to calculate the speed of a cart moving in a horizontal line but I also need to account for the weight that's attached to the cart.

That's true, but you still need to use the template.

By the way, my favourite formula is ##F = ma##.

PeroK said:
That's true, but you still need to use the template.

By the way, my favourite formula is ##F = ma##.
Okay, so I think I found one formula because you've mentioned the F=ma. Using it, we can get the velocity like this: v = Ft/m , and to get F we need m and a. We got m ( presumably I'll have to use the m1, which equals 500g ), and now we need a ( acceleration ). However, the problem is that the formula for acceleration is: a = v(final) - v(starting) / t and I don't have v final. How can I find the final v ( speed ) ?

doublev231 said:
Okay, so I think I found one formula because you've mentioned the F=ma. Using it, we can get the velocity like this: v = Ft/m , and to get F we need m and a. We got m ( presumably I'll have to use the m1, which equals 500g ), and now we need a ( acceleration ). However, the problem is that the formula for acceleration is: a = v(final) - v(starting) / t and I don't have v final. How can I find the final v ( speed ) ?

So, your plan is:

1) Find the final speed; 2) Use this to find acceleration; 3) Use acceleration to find the force.

Can you see anything wrong with that?

What do you have in your diagram?

PeroK said:
So, your plan is:

1) Find the final speed; 2) Use this to find acceleration; 3) Use acceleration to find the force.

Can you see anything wrong with that?

What do you have in your diagram?
In my diagram I have drawn a cart that weighs 500 grams, and also marked that the starting speed of it is 7 meters per second. Then I have a wire that's over a pulley and at the end of the wire there's a weight that weighs in at 200 grams. Looks like I can't find the final speed without knowing the acceleration, is that what's wrong?

doublev231 said:
In my diagram I have drawn a cart that weighs 500 grams, and also marked that the starting speed of it is 7 meters per second. Then I have a wire that's over a pulley and at the end of the wire there's a weight that weighs in at 200 grams. Looks like I can't find the final speed without knowing the acceleration, is that what's wrong?

Yes, so what's missing from your diagram?

PeroK said:
Yes, so what's missing from your diagram?
Looks like the acceleration of the cart is missing, however, I'm unsure how to calculate it, I need the final speed to do so. Currently I only have the time and the starting speed, and I'm unsure how to get the final one so I can calculate acceleration.

doublev231 said:
Looks like the acceleration of the cart is missing, however, I'm unsure how to calculate it, I need the final speed to do so. Currently I only have the time and the starting speed, and I'm unsure how to get the final one so I can calculate acceleration.

It's more fundamental than that. What's the 200g mass doing in all this?

PeroK said:
It's more fundamental than that. What's the 200g mass doing in all this?
I think the 200 grams is slowing the cart down, thus reducing it's speed?

doublev231 said:
I think the 200 grams is slowing the cart down, thus reducing it's speed?

I think you are misinterpreting the problem. As I see it, the 200g mass is hanging over a pulley, in mid air.

PeroK said:
I think you are misinterpreting the problem. As I see it, the 200g mass is hanging over a pulley, in mid air.
Yes, the 200g mass is hanging mid air over the pulley. So the 200g mass should add to the mass of the cart then, right?

doublev231 said:
Yes, the 200g mass is hanging mid air over the pulley. So the 200g mass should add to the mass of the cart then, right?

What about gravity, then? Have you heard of that?!

PeroK said:
Oh, of course! So g = 9.81 m/s2, is that what we need?

PeroK said:
Ooh, I get it now. We can now caculate F of the 200 g mass object like this: F = 200 * 9.81 = 1962 N, is that correct?

doublev231 said:
Oh, of course! So g = 9.81 m/s2, is that what we need?

Yes and no. Yes, gravity is exactly what you need. But, be careful, gravity is a force.

Let me point out something general about problems when you have two things joined together. If you have a trolley, say, and it's attached to a car and you try to pull the trolley. You could move the trolley on its own quite easily. But, if it's attached to the car, then in order to move the trolley, you have to move the car as well. Let's assume the trolley has a mass of ##10kg## and the car has a mass of ##990kg##. And you apply a force of ##10N##.

If you were pulling the trolley on its own, the acceleration would be ##a_1 = 10N/10kg = 1ms^{-2}##

But, if the trolley is attached to the car, then the accleleration is ##a_2 = 10N/1000kg = 0.01 ms^{-2}##

This is because the force must accelerate the whole system.

You always need to be careful, therefore, to identify everything that must move when a force is applied. It's a common mistake to calculate the acceleration based only on the mass of part of the system.

doublev231 said:
Ooh, I get it now. We can now caculate F of the 200 g mass object like this: F = 200 * 9.81 = 1962 N, is that correct?

Yes, except the mass is only 200g, not 200kg!

Another general piece of advice is always to be careful with the units you are given.

PeroK said:
Yes, except the mass is only 200g, not 200kg!

Another general piece of advice is always to be careful with the units you are given.
Oh, good catch! It's actually 1.962 N. So now I know that the F of the object over pulley is 1.962 N. so now I can get the acceleration by adding the two weighs and then dividing the force by the sum of these objects? Like this: 1.962 N / 0.7 kg. If that's the case, would this mean that acceleration of the whole system is 2.8 m/s2 ?

doublev231 said:
Oh, good catch! It's actually 1.962 N. So now I know that the F of the object over pulley is 1.962 N. so now I can get the acceleration by adding the two weighs and then dividing the force by the sum of these objects? Like this: 1.962 N / 0.7 kg. If that's the case, would this mean that acceleration of the whole system is 2.8 m/s2 ?

Yes, that looks good.

PeroK said:
Yes, that looks good.
And then I can use the formula for distance when given acceleration: s = v(starting) * t + 0.5 a * t2. That way I will get the distance that the cart will travel in 5 seconds? Is that correct? And what about the speed after 5 seconds?

doublev231 said:
And then I can use the formula for distance when given acceleration: s = v(starting) + 0.5 a * t2. That way I will get the distance that the cart will travel in 5 seconds? Is that correct? And what about the speed after 5 seconds?

Once you have the acceleration, you have a choice of ways to find the distance. You don't actually need the final speed. The formula you suggest is good, although you have missed something out.

Likes doublev231
PeroK said:
Once you have the acceleration, you have a choice of ways to find the distance. You don't actually need the final speed. The formula you suggest is good, although you have missed something out.
I do need the final speed, the task asks to find the speed after 5 seconds and also the distance. I edited the formula, can you check it again? I added the v(starting) * t part. Is it complete now?

doublev231 said:
I do need the final speed, the task asks to find the speed after 5 seconds and also the distance. I edited the formula, can you check it again? I added the v(starting) * t part. Is it complete now?

Yes, your formula is correct now.

Do you know another formula that would give you the final speed? I didn't notice it asked for that as well.

Likes doublev231
doublev231 said:
PeroK said:
This is what I got right now: s = 7 * 5 + 0.5 * 2.8 * 25 = 70. I got 70 meters!

PeroK said:
Yes, your formula is correct now.

Do you know another formula that would give you the final speed? I didn't notice it asked for that as well.
is it a = v(final) - v(starting) / 2 ?

doublev231 said:
is it a = v(final) - v(starting) / 2 ?

No, not divided by 2.

Likes doublev231
PeroK said:
That looks like average velocity to me.
I got 21 m/s. If I use v = u + at I also get 21 m/s. Isn't that the correct answer?

doublev231 said:
I got 21 m/s. If I use v = u + at I also get 21 m/s. Isn't that the correct answer?

Yes. That all looks good. Well done!

Likes doublev231
PeroK said:
Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate it!

PeroK said:
Hey, I got one more question. So the final results yielded this: distance = 70 meters and final speed = 21 meters per second. But the numbers seem off to me for some reason. The starting speed of the cart was 7 m/s and it had a weigh attached to it, and it traveled for 5 seconds. The current results suggest that the cart somehow gained speed! Is that really correct? I think I might have made a mistake somewhere.

doublev231 said:
Hey, I got one more question. So the final results yielded this: distance = 70 meters and final speed = 21 meters per second. But the numbers seem off to me for some reason. The starting speed of the cart was 7 m/s and it had a weigh attached to it, and it traveled for 5 seconds. The current results suggest that the cart somehow gained speed! Is that really correct? I think I might have made a mistake somewhere.

Good spot. I think the question is probably that that the mass is slowing the cart down, rather than accelerating it. That's the problem with not seeing a diagram of the set-up. I assumed that the mass was pulling the cart in the direction of travel, but I guess the mass is supposed to be doing the opposite! That makes more sense, in fact.

Anyway, you can use the same technique to solve the correct problem.

+1 the problem statement doesn't say which direction the cart is going at the start.

PeroK said:
Good spot. I think the question is probably that that the mass is slowing the cart down, rather than accelerating it. That's the problem with not seeing a diagram of the set-up. I assumed that the mass was pulling the cart in the direction of travel, but I guess the mass is supposed to be doing the opposite! That makes more sense, in fact.

Anyway, you can use the same technique to solve the correct problem.
Alright, so I suppose that the the force remains the same -> 1.962 N (F = ma = mg; F = 0.2 * 9.81;). So now I need to find the acceleration. Previously, we did this: a = 1.962 N / 0.7 kg. We added both masses and then divided by the power. But does the same rule apply here, now that the direction is changed?

CWatters said:
+1 the problem statement doesn't say which direction the cart is going at the start.
The problem stated that the cart is going to the left, but I'm unsure if that's useful. However, it said that the weight was attached to the end of the cart, so I presume the weight is supposed to slow the thing down.