Find position when a particle comes to rest from a potential energy function

In summary, the problem is asking for the position of a 1kg particle that is initially at x=1m and moving with a velocity of 6m/s in the +x direction, when it first comes to rest. To solve this, we can use the equation F(x)=-dU/dx to find the force acting on the particle, which is -8x-5. Since F=ma and the mass is 1kg, we can set F(x)=a. However, using the equation 2a(xf-xi)=v2^2-v1^2 to solve for acceleration is incorrect as it only applies to cases of constant acceleration. Instead, we can use conservation of energy, which states
erin7749
A 1kg particle is in a potential given in joules by U(x)=4x2+5x-3, where x is in meters. The particle is initially at position x=1m and moving with velocity v=6m/s in the +x direction.

Find the position when the particle first comes to rest.

Here is my train of thought

F(x)= -dU/dx

so F(x)= -8x-5

Then i figured since F=ma (mass is 1kg)

that F(x)=a

i used the equation 2a(xf-xi)=v2^2-v1^2 to solve for acceleration which i plugged into above equation using v2=0, v1=6 and xi=1

this gave me
-8x-5= -36/(2x-2)

-16x^2 + 6x + 46=0

then i solved the quadratic, rejected the negative answer since the particle is initially at 1.
My answer is 1.89m which is wrong.

can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong and point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
erin7749 said:
A 1kg particle is in a potential given in joules by U(x)=4x2+5x-3, where x is in meters. The particle is initially at position x=1m and moving with velocity v=6m/s in the +x direction.

Find the position when the particle first comes to rest.

Here is my train of thought

F(x)= -dU/dx

so F(x)= -8x-5

Then i figured since F=ma (mass is 1kg)

that F(x)=a

It is correct up to this point, but wrong afterwards.

erin7749 said:
i used the equation 2a(xf-xi)=v2^2-v1^2 to solve for acceleration which i plugged into above equation using v2=0, v1=6 and xi=1

The equation you used is valid for constant acceleration only, and it is not the case now.

You would have solved two differential equations, taking into account that the acceleration is the first derivative of the velocity and second derivative of x with respect to time.

But it is not necessary, you have good old conservation of energy, why not use it?

ehild

Related to Find position when a particle comes to rest from a potential energy function

1. What is a potential energy function?

A potential energy function is a mathematical representation of the potential energy a particle possesses at a given point in space. It is typically denoted by V(x) and is a function of the particle's position.

2. How does a particle come to rest from a potential energy function?

When a particle is subject to a potential energy function, it will move towards the point of minimum potential energy. As it moves, its kinetic energy decreases and eventually becomes zero when it reaches the point of minimum potential energy, causing the particle to come to rest.

3. What factors affect the position where a particle comes to rest?

The position where a particle comes to rest is affected by the shape and magnitude of the potential energy function, as well as the initial position and velocity of the particle. Other external factors, such as friction and air resistance, can also play a role.

4. Can a particle come to rest at multiple positions from the same potential energy function?

Yes, a particle can come to rest at multiple positions from the same potential energy function. This can occur when the potential energy function has multiple points of minimum energy, or when the initial conditions of the particle's motion allow for it to come to rest at different positions.

5. How is the position where a particle comes to rest calculated from a potential energy function?

The position where a particle comes to rest can be calculated by finding the point(s) of minimum potential energy in the function. This can be done by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero, then solving for the position(s) where the derivative is equal to zero.