Find period from centripetal motion that provides its own gravity

In summary, the cylindrical space station with a diameter of 280m is rotating to provide artificial gravity for the occupants. The time it takes for one rotation can be found using the equations for velocity and acceleration, with the acceleration being approximately equal to the Earth's acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Using the equation T=2πr/v, we can calculate that the time period for one rotation is approximately 4 seconds. However, at this time period, the acceleration is much greater than Earth's gravity and could be dangerous for the occupants.
JSmithDawg

Homework Statement

The cylindrical space station, d = 280m in diameter, rotates in order to provide artificial gravity of g for the occupants. How much time does the station take to complete one rotation?
jfk3.ch6.mc25.jpg

Homework Equations

velocity= (2*pi*r)/period
acceleration = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a multiple choice problem, so the possible answers are 34s, 38s, 24s, and 4s.
I'm thinking that to provide it's own gravity, the acceleration should be about equal to the Earth's acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Thus, I've found the acceleration that'll occur for each time.
a(38s)=[(2pi140m)/38s]^2/140m
a(38s) = 3.83 m/s^2
a(34s)=[(2pi140m)/34s]^2/140m
a(34s) = 4.78 m/s^2
a(24s)=[(2pi140m)/34s]^2/140m
a(24s) = 9.60 m/s^2
a(4s)=[(2pi140m)/34s]^2/140m
a(4s) = 345 m/s^2
Now, when the period is four seconds, the acceleration is far greater than the Earth's acceleration due to gravity, so it must generate it's own gravitational field, right? So would the answer be four seconds?

Also, if I'm given this problem in the future on a free response, how do I do it without plugging in the given periods to the formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
JSmithDawg said:

Homework Statement

The cylindrical space station, d = 280m in diameter, rotates in order to provide artificial gravity of g for the occupants. How much time does the station take to complete one rotation?
jfk3.ch6.mc25.jpg

Homework Equations

acceleration = v^2/r

It's a multiple choice problem, so the possible answers are 34s, 38s, 24s, and 4s.
I'm thinking that to provide it's own gravity, the acceleration should be about equal to the Earth's acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Thus, I've found the acceleration that'll occur for each time.
a(38s)=[(2pi140m)/38s]^2/140m
a(38s) = 3.83 m/s^2
a(34s)=[(2pi140m)/34s]^2/140m
a(34s) = 4.78 m/s^2
a(24s)=[(2pi140m)/34s]^2/140m
a(24s) = 9.60 m/s^2
a(4s)=[(2pi140m)/34s]^2/140m
a(4s) = 345 m/s^2
Now, when the period is four seconds, the acceleration is far greater than the Earth's acceleration due to gravity, so it must generate it's own gravitational field, right? So would the answer be four seconds?

What does this mean? AFAIK, the only thing which generates a gravitational field is a large mass.

Think about which acceleration is closest to the acceleration due to gravity on the Earth's surface.

What would your weight be if you were on a planet where the acceleration due to gravity was 345 m/s2.

What would your weight be? Could you even move? Would your body even be able to survive?

JSmithDawg said:

Homework Statement

jfk3.ch6.mc25.jpg

Homework Equations

acceleration = v^2/r

I'm thinking that to provide it's own gravity, the acceleration should be about equal to the Earth's acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).
Yes, the centripetal acceleration of the occupants is about g. So you have the equation g=v2/r . You need the time period T. There is the other equation v=(2πr)/T. Can you write an expression of T in terms of g and r? T=2πr/v, v=√(gr), substitute the second equation for v into the first equation.
JSmithDawg said:

Also, if I'm given this problem in the future on a free response, how do I do it without plugging in the given periods to the formula?
At T=4 s, the acceleration is much more than g. The astronauts feel a very high centrifugal force, about 35 g, that presses them to the outward wall of the space station. It is not easy to survive! https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070101085015AAok4JJ

What is centripetal motion?

Centripetal motion is the movement of an object in a circular path, caused by a force directed towards the center of the circle. This force is known as the centripetal force.

What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is the force that gives weight to objects and keeps planets in orbit around the sun.

How does centripetal motion create its own gravity?

Centripetal motion creates its own gravity by constantly changing the direction of an object's velocity, which causes it to accelerate towards the center of the circle. This acceleration produces a gravitational force that keeps the object in orbit.

Can we calculate the period of an object in centripetal motion?

Yes, the period of an object in centripetal motion can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(r/a), where T is the period, r is the radius of the circle, and a is the acceleration of the object.

How is the period of an object in centripetal motion related to its speed?

The period of an object in centripetal motion is inversely proportional to its speed. This means that as the speed of the object increases, the period decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula T = 2πr/v, where T is the period, r is the radius of the circle, and v is the speed of the object.