Find Oil Density in Open Tank with Horizontal Bottom

• Thread starter adoza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, two parts of an open tank with a horizontal bottom are divided by a vertical gate that is rectangular and hinged at the top. The gate is in equilibrium with water of density 1000kg/m3 acting on one side and oil of unknown density acting on the other side. The water depth is 1.50m and the oil depth is 1.65m. To find the density of the oil, you need to calculate the horizontal pressure applied by each liquid on the gate and set it equal to 0. From there, you can use the fact that pressure varies with height in a fluid to solve for the density of the oil.
adoza
An open tank has a horizontal bottom. It is divided into two parts by a vertical gate. The gate
is rectangular, 3m high and it is hinged at its top. Water of density p,=1000kg/m3 in one part
of the tank is acting on one side of the gate, and oil of density p, in the other part of the tank
is acting on the other side of the gate. The gate is in equilibrium in vertical position. The
water depth is 1.50m and the oil depth is 1.65m. Find the oil density p,.

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't a 'do my homework for me' forum. Please show what you have tried so far.

i have tried working out the pressures of each liquid hence the horizontall pressure they apply to the gate but have always come up with the wrong answer. do i need to find the horizontall pressure to find the density of the oil?

adoza said:
i have tried working out the pressures of each liquid hence the horizontall pressure they apply to the gate but have always come up with the wrong answer. do i need to find the horizontall pressure to find the density of the oil?

pressure acts in all directions, so saying horizontal pressure is redundant. but yes.

remember at eqbm, the moment at the hinge of the gate is 0.
a moment is a force times an area
a force is a pressure times an area
pressure in a fluid varies with height

i did the hard part, your turn - it should be all numbers from here on out

Related to Find Oil Density in Open Tank with Horizontal Bottom

1. How do you calculate the oil density in an open tank with a horizontal bottom?

The oil density in an open tank with a horizontal bottom can be calculated by measuring the volume of the tank and the weight of the oil. The density can then be calculated using the formula: Density = Mass/Volume.

2. What are the factors that can affect the oil density in an open tank with a horizontal bottom?

The factors that can affect the oil density in an open tank with a horizontal bottom include the temperature of the oil, the composition of the oil, and the presence of impurities or contaminants in the oil.

3. How can you ensure accurate measurements of the oil density in an open tank with a horizontal bottom?

To ensure accurate measurements of the oil density in an open tank with a horizontal bottom, it is important to use precise measuring tools and techniques. Additionally, the oil sample should be taken from a representative section of the tank to account for any variations in density.

4. Can the oil density in an open tank with a horizontal bottom change over time?

Yes, the oil density in an open tank with a horizontal bottom can change over time due to factors such as temperature fluctuations, evaporation, and the addition of new oil or removal of old oil. Regular monitoring and recalculations may be necessary to account for these changes.

5. What are the possible applications of knowing the oil density in an open tank with a horizontal bottom?

Knowing the oil density in an open tank with a horizontal bottom can be useful for a variety of applications, such as determining the amount of oil in the tank, calculating the weight of the tank for transportation purposes, and monitoring the quality and consistency of the oil over time.