Find Min Area of Box for 5in x 7in Book: Explanations

• Thread starter link2110
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Box
In summary, to find the smallest possible area of the diamond-shaped gift box, we can use the concept of similar triangles and set up an equation to find the area as a function of one variable. By minimizing this function, we can determine the minimal area of the box.
link2110

Homework Statement

A book with cover dimensions 5in x 7in is to be placed symmetrically in a diamond shaped gift box. What is the smallest possible area of the box? Explain how you know your answer is minimal.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know how to start this question, any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a sketch of the box, with the book in it. Label the book's given dimensions, and label the dimensions of the diamond-shaped box with a variable.

See if you can determine some relationships between the book's dimensions and the box's dimensions.

If the book's edges are always touching the diamond's walls, then does the diamond always have the same area, no matter if it is stretched? I tried considering the centre of the box as the origin, and only looked at the first quadrant...basically a rectangle of dimensions 3.5 X 2.5 inside a triangle of unknown size. but I don't know if I am on the right track

my initial guess is 2X the size of the book...but I don't have a mathematical proof

link2110 said:
If the book's edges are always touching the diamond's walls, then does the diamond always have the same area, no matter if it is stretched? I tried considering the centre of the box as the origin, and only looked at the first quadrant...basically a rectangle of dimensions 3.5 X 2.5 inside a triangle of unknown size. but I don't know if I am on the right track

The diamond won't always have the same area, but otherwise, I think you are on the right track.

In my sketch I have a triangle - the first quadrant portion of the diamond, and a 2.5" X 3.5" rectangle within the triangle, with the 3.5" side vertical.

In my drawing, y is the remainder of the length of the height of the triangle (i.e., y + 3.5 is the length of the vertical side of the triangle. The horizontal leg of the triangle is of length 2.5 + x.

What you want to do is minimize the area of the diamond, which is equivalent to minimizing the area of the triangle, A = 1/2*(y + 3.5)(x + 2.5).

The rectangle within the triangle defines two other similar triangles. From these we get the relationship that y/2.5 = 3.5/x. Solve for y and use it in the area formula to get area as a function of one variable.

Thank you! I understand the first part and the overall concept, but I am confused as to how to find y/2.5=3.5/x...

A drawing would have made it more obvious what I was doing. My drawing has the large triangle, with legs of length y + 3.5 and x + 2.5. Inside the triangle is the rectangle of width 2.5 and height 3.5. Inside the large triangle are two other right triangles: one above the rectangle, and one to the right of the rectangle. All three triangles are similar, meaning all the corresponding angles are equal, which makes the corresponding sides proportionate.

For the triangle above the rectangle, its height to base ratio is the same as the height to base ratio of the triangle to the right of the rectangle.

IOW, y/2.5 = 3.5/x. This equation is the key to being able to write the area of the large triangle as a function of one variable.

Thank You :D

Mark44 said:
In my drawing, y is the remainder of the length of the height of the triangle (i.e., y + 3.5 is the length of the vertical side of the triangle. The horizontal leg of the triangle is of length 2.5 + x.

I don't see anything in the problem statement that says the axies of the book and the diamond are aligned in the same direction. What do you think?

The first post has this: "A book with cover dimensions 5in x 7in is to be placed symmetrically in a diamond shaped gift box."
That let's us align the axes of the book and the box.

Related to Find Min Area of Box for 5in x 7in Book: Explanations

1. How do you calculate the minimum area of a box for a 5in x 7in book?

The minimum area of a box for a 5in x 7in book can be calculated by adding the dimensions of the book (5 inches and 7 inches) and multiplying by 2. This is because the book needs to fit snugly on both the length and width of the box, and there are two sides to each dimension. Therefore, the minimum area would be (5 + 7) x 2 = 24 square inches.

2. Why is it important to find the minimum area of a box for a book?

Finding the minimum area of a box for a book ensures that the packaging is the most efficient and cost-effective. It also helps to reduce excess materials and waste, making it more environmentally friendly.

3. Can the minimum area of a box be smaller than the dimensions of the book?

No, the minimum area of a box cannot be smaller than the dimensions of the book. If the box is smaller, the book will not fit inside. The minimum area ensures that the book can fit snugly in the box without being too loose or too tight.

4. What other factors should be considered when finding the minimum area of a box for a book?

In addition to the dimensions of the book, other factors that should be considered when finding the minimum area of a box include the thickness of the book, any additional packaging materials, and the weight of the book. These factors can affect the size and strength of the box needed to safely transport the book.

5. Are there any tools or formulas that can help in finding the minimum area of a box for a book?

Yes, there are various online calculators and formulas that can help in finding the minimum area of a box for a book. Additionally, packaging design software can also assist in creating the most efficient and suitable box for a book based on its dimensions and other factors.