Find Max Velocity & Altitude of Rocket: Mass, Thrust, Burn Time

In summary, the problem asks for an equation to find the maximum velocity and maximum altitude of a rocket. It provides the mass of the rocket, engine, and propellant, as well as the average thrust of the engine and the burn duration. An example with numerical values is given, resulting in a maximum velocity of 101.37 and a maximum altitude of 549.621. The equations x=x0+vt, v=v0+at, x=x0+v0t+.5at^2, and f=ma are given, with x representing distance, v representing velocity, t representing time, a representing acceleration, f representing force, m representing mass, and 9.8 representing gravity in m/s^2. It
strttnr
what equation would i use to find the max velocity and max alt of a rocket. the probem gave me mass of rocket (g), mass of engine (g), mass of propellant (g), average thrust of engine(Newtons), burn duration of the engine (seconds). i got an example which is massrocket=23,mass engin=16.2,massproppelant=3.12, averagethrust=8 and burndurationengine=.5

their max vel=101.37 and max alt = 549.621

it gave me some equations which are x=x0+vt , v=v0+at , x=x0+v0t+.5at"square" and f=ma
(x=distance,v=velocity, t=time, a= acceleration, f=force, m=mass and 9.8 as grav m/s"square

i need better understanding of what information goes where plug into equation

Physics news on Phys.org
strttnr said:
what equation would i use to find the max velocity and max alt of a rocket. the probem gave me mass of rocket (g), mass of engine (g), mass of propellant (g), average thrust of engine(Newtons), burn duration of the engine (seconds). i got an example which is massrocket=23,mass engin=16.2,massproppelant=3.12, averagethrust=8 and burndurationengine=.5

their max vel=101.37 and max alt = 549.621

it gave me some equations which are x=x0+vt , v=v0+at , x=x0+v0t+.5at"square" and f=ma
(x=distance,v=velocity, t=time, a= acceleration, f=force, m=mass and 9.8 as grav m/s"square

i need better understanding of what information goes where plug into equation

The simplest thing would be to go to wikipea.org and search on Rocket Equation. That will give you plenty of information to read. Seems like it should also be in your textbook, but maybe they want you to do some outside reading...

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

thanks ...but this is just a problem for computer progamming but i don't even got a txt book to rely on to get help and i tried wiki and the way they explain it is too technical and confusing.. is there anywhere else or possibly give a link or explain to me in simplest terms on how to go about this problem using the example provided

This is just a bit more works than a simple projectile motion. Just remember there are two things to consider

1. gravity (g or -g)
2. engine also causes a kind of acceleration

it is very difficult to read your post, words become "compounds"state the entire problem using the given posting format. this helps readability
and of course, search around google

jwxie said:
This is just a bit more works than a simple projectile motion. Just remember there are two things to consider

1. gravity (g or -g)
2. engine also causes a kind of acceleration

it is very difficult to read your post, words become "compounds"

state the entire problem using the given posting format. this helps readability
and of course, search around google

The other part of the Rocket Equation takes into account that the rocket becomes lighter as it burns off fuel...

Related to Find Max Velocity & Altitude of Rocket: Mass, Thrust, Burn Time

1. What is the equation for finding the maximum velocity of a rocket?

The equation for finding the maximum velocity of a rocket is Vmax = (Thrust/mass) * ln(initial mass/final mass), where Vmax is the maximum velocity in meters per second, Thrust is the thrust force in newtons, and mass is the total mass of the rocket in kilograms.

2. How does the mass of a rocket affect its maximum velocity?

The mass of a rocket has a direct impact on its maximum velocity. As the mass of the rocket increases, the maximum velocity decreases. This is because a heavier rocket requires more thrust to accelerate, and as the rocket burns fuel and becomes lighter, it can achieve higher velocities.

3. What role does thrust play in determining the maximum velocity of a rocket?

Thrust is the force that propels a rocket forward. The higher the thrust, the faster the rocket can accelerate and reach its maximum velocity. However, if the thrust is too high, it can also cause the rocket to burn fuel faster and decrease its maximum velocity.

4. How does the burn time of a rocket affect its maximum altitude?

The burn time of a rocket is the duration for which the rocket's engines are firing. The longer the burn time, the higher the rocket can travel. This is because the rocket can continue to accelerate for a longer period of time, reaching higher altitudes. However, if the burn time is too long, the rocket may run out of fuel before reaching its maximum altitude.

5. Can the maximum velocity and altitude of a rocket be accurately calculated?

Yes, the maximum velocity and altitude of a rocket can be accurately calculated using the equations and variables for mass, thrust, and burn time. However, these calculations may not account for external factors such as air resistance and wind, which can affect the performance of a rocket in real-life situations.