Accelerating rocket w/ changing mass *need to finish tonight*

In summary, the formula for the upward velocity of a rocket of initial mass M0, propelled by fuel burning at a rate of R kg/s and with a force of thrust Fth, is vy = uex * ln[M0 / M(t) ] - g * t. The initial velocity can be found by plugging in the values of M0 and R into the formula, and the initial acceleration can be found by applying Newton's second law. To find the velocity at a specific time, the formula for M(t) can be used to calculate the mass at that time and then plugged into the formula for velocity. To prove the given formula, one can start by finding the rocket's acceleration and then integrating it.
Proximity

Homework Statement

Prove that the upward velocity of a rocket of initial mass M0, which is propelled by fuel burning at a rate of R kg/s, is given by vy = uex * ln[M0 / M(t) ] - g * t. uex is the speed of the exhaust gas relative to the rocket and M0 is the initial mass (rocket + fuel).

Also find the initial velocity and acceleration and velocity at time = 180s.

M0 = 2.12E6 kg
Fth = 2.32E7 N (Force of thrust)
R = 4.6E3

M(t) = M0 - R * t
Fth = -R * uex

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well it seems like I can get all the required values I need, but I still need to prove the given formula, and I'm not really sure where to start and I'm hoping for some tips.EDIT: Would finding the rate of changing for the rocket's acceleration be a start? (ie x m*s^3)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one can provide any help? I desperately need some.

Proximity said:
EDIT: Would finding the rate of changing for the rocket's acceleration be a start? (ie x m*s^3)
Finding the rocket's acceleration would be a good start.

So applying Newton's second law I ended up with:

(Fth / m) - g = a

But m is dependent on time so that becomes:

[Fth / (m0 - R * t)] - g = a

Do I then have to integrate that somehow?

Anyone?

Proximity said:
So applying Newton's second law I ended up with:

(Fth / m) - g = a

But m is dependent on time so that becomes:

[Fth / (m0 - R * t)] - g = a

Do I then have to integrate that somehow?

How hard is that to integrate?

It's been a while since I've taken calculus, I'm not really sure how to.

Related to Accelerating rocket w/ changing mass *need to finish tonight*

1. How does changing the mass of a rocket affect its acceleration?

Changing the mass of a rocket has a direct impact on its acceleration. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of a rocket decreases, its acceleration will increase, and vice versa.

2. Can changing the mass of a rocket affect its fuel efficiency?

Yes, changing the mass of a rocket can affect its fuel efficiency. As mentioned before, a decrease in mass results in an increase in acceleration. This means that the rocket will use up its fuel more quickly, resulting in lower fuel efficiency. Conversely, increasing the mass of the rocket can lead to better fuel efficiency as it requires less force to maintain its acceleration.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration of a rocket with changing mass?

The acceleration of a rocket with changing mass can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion: acceleration = net force / mass. This means that the acceleration is equal to the total force applied to the rocket divided by its mass. As the mass changes, the acceleration will also change accordingly.

4. Is there a limit to how much the mass of a rocket can change during flight?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the mass of a rocket can change during flight. This is because the rocket's mass is determined by the amount of fuel it carries. Once all the fuel is burned, the mass will remain constant unless there are other external factors that affect it. Changing the mass too drastically during flight can also affect the stability and control of the rocket.

5. Can changing the mass of a rocket affect its speed?

Yes, changing the mass of a rocket can affect its speed. As mentioned before, a decrease in mass results in an increase in acceleration. This means that the rocket will reach a higher speed in a shorter amount of time. However, once the rocket's mass remains constant, its speed will also reach a constant value unless there are other external factors at play, such as air resistance.