Find Length of Arc for x = 3y^(4/3) - 3/32y^(2/3)

In summary, the equation for finding the length of an arc is L = rθ, where L represents the length of the arc, r represents the radius of the circle, and θ represents the angle of the arc in radians. If the equation for the arc is given in terms of y, you can use the substitution method to rewrite the equation in terms of x and then use the formula L = rθ to find the length of the arc. The value of r represents the radius of the circle that the arc is a part of and can be measured or given in the problem. The value of θ can be found by taking the derivative of the given equation and solving for θ. And finally, the length of the arc cannot be
intelli

Homework Statement

find the length of the arc

x = 3y^ (4/3) - 3/32y^(2/3) and y lies between 0 and 216

Homework Equations

l = integral sqrt (1 + (dy / dx )^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

after integration i got this y + 3/16y ^(-4/3) / (-4/3)

i have to apply 0 and 216 is that correct i get a ridiculous answer

Physics news on Phys.org
You can easily check if your answer is correct or not by differentiating the primitive you've found with respect to y. If it is the correct one it should equal the integrand after differentiation. In your case this is not true, so you didn't integrate correctly.

Last edited:

Related to Find Length of Arc for x = 3y^(4/3) - 3/32y^(2/3)

1. What is the equation for finding the length of an arc?

The equation for finding the length of an arc is L = rθ, where L represents the length of the arc, r represents the radius of the circle, and θ represents the angle of the arc in radians.

2. How do I find the length of an arc if the equation is given in terms of y?

If the equation for the arc is given in terms of y, you can use the substitution method to rewrite the equation in terms of x. Once the equation is in terms of x, you can use the formula L = rθ to find the length of the arc.

3. What is the value of r in the equation for finding the length of an arc?

The value of r represents the radius of the circle that the arc is a part of. This is a fixed value and can be measured or given in the problem.

4. How do I find the value of θ for the given equation?

The value of θ can be found by taking the derivative of the given equation and solving for θ. In this case, the derivative would be dθ/dx = 4/3y^(1/3) - 3/16y^(-1/3).

5. Can the length of the arc be negative?

No, the length of the arc cannot be negative as it represents a physical distance. If the equation results in a negative value for L, it is likely that there is an error in the calculation or the problem is not applicable in that case.