Unlock Your Right-Brained Math Struggles with Creative Solutions - My Story

• Thread starter Mattius_
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with their difficulty in math and believes it may be due to their right-brained tendencies. They question the logic behind math and struggle with even basic equations. Despite being able to pass classes, they do not have a full understanding of the subject. Other members suggest persisting and developing people skills to improve employability, but the speaker intends to pursue an academic career.
Mattius_
Help! I am right brained!

Other then to just accept the fact that I am bad at math, i would like to search for other answers with possible solutions... Here is my story; I need math for science, i am very creative and inventive but i have not the math to solve my hypotheses... I need an answer. Basic equations sometimes perplex me and i am still do not have a completely definitive understand of basic division and multiplication... Ofcourse i can do division and i can pass math classes just like any Joe Schmoe but i do not understand the logic... I regurgatate equations and theorems without a full understanding which is one condition that i cannot accept.

I have put together a hypothesis that because i am somewhat ambedextruous(i throw with my right, eat and write with my left) my my brain will not accept traditional math reason and therefore leaves me competely confused at times.

Are there any other mathematically impaired who have found the light?; And if so, show me the way.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
"I have put together a hypothesis that because i am somewhat ambedextruous(i throw with my right, eat and write with my left) my my brain will not accept traditional math reason and therefore leaves me competely confused at times. "

My professional information would say this isn't a cause of having difficulty with math at all.

The two are bound to exist in the same human at some statistical rate. Anyhow, what is the difficult you have with math. If you can add and subtract then you can multiply and divide. Besides, that's what calculators are for.

What level of math begins to stump you?

I have trouble with much of the simple stuff... I question the logic of math, and it is at this point which i cannot get passed. Btw i am in second year algebra/precalc but my problems go way back. As i said, i can pass these courses easy by regurgatation and a basic understanding of structure. When teachers explain mathematical process to me, they go too fast because i stop and question step one of a6 step problem... I am sure many people would come to the deduction that i am mathematically slow but my refutation lies in the fact that i excel in chess and have captured the state chess championship for high school.

I would be hesitant to compare chess to math. On an objective level, one might find similiarites such as I might alike a classical piece to Pamela Anderson. However literally, the two are unalike.

Perhaps you just have a difficulty of math. It is by far the most popular class to do poor in.

The only thing I could recommend is keep at it. One won't stay awkward at something forever. I certainly had a disdain for math at some level until the past year.

Since I graduated from high school 5 years ago, I have gone from someone who had no science or math in my life, except passively, to someone who now is a neuroscience student, planning on premed, and I continue to learn physics (and thus math and logic) on my own.

Because I used to dislike these subjects, I also was poor in them.

Things change people change. Just keep at it. We all have deficiencies.

persist, easier said than done... but that is a whole other discussion:smile:

And if you do persist, your employability will rise a whole lot. (here in the UK anyhow)

Originally posted by Lonewolf
And if you do persist, your employability will rise a whole lot. (here in the UK anyhow)

On average it will, but you can do well without an education if you have charm, confidence and greed.

I agree, but some of us aren't bestowed with oodles of confidence, and I have as much charm as an intoxicated donkey. Maths it is then...:wink:

I would advise you get some 'people skills' also if you are thinking about any sort of non-academic employment.

Although in UK, maths is one of best degrees to have. Economics/medicine are probably the best.

I fully intend to have an academic career. Some of my maths lecturers are really bad with people skills. It's hard to even have a conversation with some of them, which is frustrating at best.

Maths is a difficult area to get into academia.

The easier ones are chemistry and softer sciences and arts.

1. What does it mean to be "right-brained"?

Being "right-brained" refers to a popular theory that the human brain is divided into two hemispheres, with the right hemisphere being associated with creativity, intuition, and emotions.

2. Can someone be exclusively "right-brained" or "left-brained"?

No, this theory has been largely debunked by neuroscientists. While certain functions may be more dominant in one hemisphere, both sides of the brain work together to perform complex tasks.

3. How can being "right-brained" affect a person's abilities?

It is thought that individuals who are more "right-brained" may excel in fields such as art, music, and writing due to their creativity and ability to think outside the box. However, this does not mean they are limited in other areas.

4. Is there any scientific evidence to support the concept of being "right-brained"?

While there is some evidence that the two hemispheres of the brain have different functions, there is no scientific proof that being "right-brained" or "left-brained" affects a person's personality or abilities.

5. Is it possible to train or develop the "right-brain" to improve creativity and intuition?

There is no scientific evidence that suggests that one can train or develop their "right-brain" specifically. However, engaging in creative activities and using both sides of the brain can lead to improved cognitive abilities overall.