Find how fast is the train travelling at the end of the fourth minute?

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary, the given average velocities between the two points in reference are 33.33 m/s and 16.67 m/s. The problem is trying to find the final velocity, given that a is constant. If we use the average speed, we get v=33.33+3.3=36.63 m/s.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached.
Relevant Equations
##s=vt##
Find the questions and its solution below;

1639632882008.png

1639632909826.png

Now would i be correct to use;
##v= u +at## where i considered ##v=33.3##m/s and ##u=16.67##m/s as the given average velocities between the two points in reference. Then it follows that,
##33.33=16.67 + 150a##
##→a= 0.11##
We are told that ##a## is constant throughout... Letting the unknown final velocity (which we are looking for) ##=v_2##, then
using ##v=u+at##
##v_2 = 33.33 +(0.11×30)=33.33+3.3=36.63##m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: See attached.
Relevant Equations:: ##s=vt##

Find the questions and its solution below;

View attachment 294244
View attachment 294245

Now would i be correct to use;
##v= u +at## where i considered ##v=33.3##m/s and ##u=16.67##m/s as the given average velocities between the two points in reference. Then it follows that,
##33.33=16.67 + 150a##
##→a= 0.11##
We are told that ##a## is constant throughout... Letting the unknown final velocity (which we are looking for) ##=v_2##, then
using ##v=u+at##
##v_2 = 33.33 +(0.11×30)=33.33+3.3=36.63##m/s
Yes, you can do it using average speed. You know the speed after 2 minutes is ##1.5## km/min. And the speed at ##3.5## minutes is ##2## km/min. That gives ##a = \frac 1 3## (km/min)/min.

There is no need to convert to SI units. As long as the units are consistent throughout.

Likes chwala
Your answer is slightly wrong; I suspect you have made a mistake in converting to SI units. What are the given speeds and times for which you get 33.33 m/s and 16.67 m/s as "the given average velocities between the two points in reference"?

Likes PeroK
mjc123 said:
Your answer is slightly wrong; I suspect you have made a mistake in converting to SI units. What are the given speeds and times for which you get 33.33 m/s and 16.67 m/s as "the given average velocities between the two points in reference"?
True, i made a mistake on ##u##, i would amend as follows;

##v= u +at## where i considered ##v=33.3##m/s and ##u=22.2##m/s as the given average velocities between the two points in reference. Then it follows that,
##33.33=22.2 + 150a##
##→a= 0.074##
using ##v=u+at##
##v_2 = 33.33 +(0.074×30)=33.33+2.2=35.55##m/s

I asked what were the given speeds and times, i.e. the quoted values in km/min and min that you have converted?

mjc123 said:
I asked what were the given speeds and times, i.e. the quoted values in km/min and min that you have converted?
ok, i converted ##\frac {4}{3}## km/min into approximately ##22.2222## m/s and also converted the ##\frac {2}{1}## km/min to ##33.3333## m/s

And the times?

mjc123 said:
The times between the two velocities is ##150## and since we are told that acceleration is constant, then i used that in deducing the final ##30## seconds of the journey.

No I didn't; don't put your words in my mouth.

What is the difference between 1.5 min and 3.5 min in seconds?

mjc123 said:
No I didn't; don't put your words in my mouth.

What is the difference between 1.5 min and 3.5 min in seconds?
:wideeyed::)) ##t=120##...oops, therefore,
##v= u +at## where i considered ##v=33.3##m/s and ##u=22.2##m/s as the given average velocities between the two points in reference. Then it follows that,
##33.33=22.2 + 120a##
##→a= 0.092594##
using ##v=u+at##
##v_2 = 33.33 +(0.092594×30)=33.33+2.777=36.1111##m/s≡##2####\frac{1}{6}##km/min
Thanks man...will counter check my working in future and minimize the errors...

Related to Find how fast is the train travelling at the end of the fourth minute?

1. What is the equation for finding the speed of a train?

The equation for finding the speed of a train is: Speed = Distance/Time. This means that the speed is equal to the distance traveled divided by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a train in a given time?

To calculate the distance traveled by a train in a given time, you can use the equation Distance = Speed x Time. This means that the distance is equal to the speed of the train multiplied by the time it took to travel that distance.

3. What information do you need to find the speed of a train?

To find the speed of a train, you need to know the distance traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. These two pieces of information can be used in the equation Speed = Distance/Time to calculate the speed of the train.

4. How does the time affect the speed of a train?

The time has a direct effect on the speed of a train. The longer the time, the greater the distance the train can travel and therefore the higher the speed. Conversely, a shorter time would result in a lower speed for the train.

5. Can the speed of a train change during its journey?

Yes, the speed of a train can change during its journey. Factors such as acceleration, deceleration, and stops along the way can affect the speed of a train. In order to accurately calculate the speed, the time and distance must be measured at a specific point in the journey, such as the end of the fourth minute in this case.