How Fast Must a Passenger Train Decelerate to Avoid a Crash?

In summary, the passenger train traveling at 80 m/s needs to decelerate to 30 m/s in order to avoid a crash with the goods train. Using the equation V=u+at, the deceleration rate is found to be 5/6 m/s^2.
Woolyabyss
A passenger train, which is traveling at 80 m/s is 1500 m behind a goods train which is traveling at 30 m/s in the same direction on the same track. At what rate must the passenger train decelerate to avoid a crash?

My attempt at the question:
V=u+at 0=80+at a=-80/t
I tried to find at what time their distances were equal using
s=ut+1/2 (a)(t^2)
80t +1/2 (-80/t) t^2-1500=30t
Simplify and I got 10t=1500
t=150
sub value of t into original equation and you get a=-8/15 m/s^2
The back of my book says its 5/6 m/s^2
Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Woolyabyss said:
My attempt at the question:
V=u+at 0=80+at a=-80/t
The passenger train does not have to stop, it just has to slow down to the speed of the freight train before crashing into it.
I tried to find at what time their distances were equal using
That is the right approach.

In your first equation you have used V=0, but to avoid a crash the passenger train only needs to decellerate to 30 m/s

(sorry, tms got there before me with same solution)

Thanks I replaced 0 with 30 in the first equation and carried out the same method as before and got 5/6 m/s^2

To calculate the rate at which the passenger train must decelerate, we need to use the formula for linear acceleration: a=(vf-vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. In this case, the final velocity of the passenger train must be 30 m/s, as it needs to match the speed of the goods train to avoid a crash. The initial velocity is 80 m/s, and the time interval is the same for both trains, as they are traveling on the same track.

Therefore, we can set up the equation: a=(30-80)/t. We know that the time interval is 150 seconds, as calculated in your attempt. Plugging in the values, we get a=(-50)/150 = -1/3 m/s^2. This means that the passenger train needs to decelerate at a rate of 1/3 m/s^2 in order to avoid a crash with the goods train.

The discrepancy between your answer and the one given in the book could be due to rounding errors or incorrect values used in the calculations. Double-checking your calculations and using more precise values may help in obtaining the correct answer.

Related to How Fast Must a Passenger Train Decelerate to Avoid a Crash?

What is linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration is the rate of change of velocity in a straight line. It is a measure of how quickly an object is speeding up or slowing down in a specific direction.

How is linear acceleration calculated?

Linear acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for linear acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between linear and angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration measures the change in velocity in a straight line, while angular acceleration measures the change in rotational velocity. Linear acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2), while angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

What factors affect linear acceleration?

The factors that affect linear acceleration include the force applied to an object, the mass of the object, and the direction of the force relative to the direction of motion.

How is linear acceleration related to Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be. In other words, linear acceleration is directly related to the net force acting on an object.