Find \(H(s)\) for Causal LTI System: Region of Convergence

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lti System
In summary, we derived the expression for \(H(s)\) by finding \(X(s)\) and \(Y(s)\) using the Laplace transform. The system is causal and stable, so the region of convergence for \(H(s)\) is \(\text{Re} \ \{s\} < -\frac{1}{2}\) and the inverse Laplace transform of \(H(s)\) is \(\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}t}\sin\Big(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}t\Big)\). A causal system is one in which the output depends only on past and present inputs, and for \(H(s)\
Dustinsfl
Determine \(H(s)\) and specify its region of convergence. Your answer should be consistent with the fact that the system is causal and stable.

In order to find \(H(s)\), we need to find \(X(s)\) and \(Y(s)\).
\begin{align*}
x(t) &= Ri + L\frac{di}{dt} + \frac{1}{C}\int i(t)dt\\
X(s) &= \mathcal{L}\bigg\{i + \frac{di}{dt} + \int i(t)dt\bigg\}\\
&= I(s) + sI(s) - I(0) + \frac{1}{s}I(s)\\
&= I(s)\bigg(1 + s + \frac{1}{s}\bigg)\\
y(t) &= \frac{1}{C}\int i(t)dt\\
&= \mathcal{L}\bigg\{\int i(t)dt\bigg\}\\
&= \frac{1}{s}I(s)\\
H(s) &= \frac{\frac{1}{s}}{1 + s + \frac{1}{s}}\\
&= \frac{1}{s^2 + s + 1}
\end{align*}
View attachment 2097

What is a causal system?
For convergece, \(\text{Re} \ \{s\} < -\frac{1}{2}\) since the inverse Laplace of H is
\[
\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}t}\sin\Big(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}t\Big).
\]

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2014-03-11 22:17:34.png
    Screenshot from 2014-03-11 22:17:34.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 42
Mathematics news on Phys.org
So a causal system is when
\[
\lim_{z\to\infty}H(z) < \infty
\]

Related to Find \(H(s)\) for Causal LTI System: Region of Convergence

1. What is the Region of Convergence (ROC) for a causal LTI system?

The Region of Convergence (ROC) for a causal LTI system is the set of values for which the Laplace transform of the system's input signal converges. It is a region in the complex plane and determines the stability and causality of the system.

2. How is the Region of Convergence (ROC) related to the poles and zeros of the transfer function?

The ROC is determined by the location of the poles and zeros of the transfer function in the complex plane. If the poles are located within the ROC, the system is stable and causal. If there are poles on the boundary of the ROC, the system is marginally stable. If there are poles outside of the ROC, the system is unstable.

3. Can the Region of Convergence (ROC) change with different input signals?

Yes, the ROC can change with different input signals. The location of the ROC is dependent on the properties of the input signal, such as its magnitude and duration. A different input signal may result in a different ROC for the same LTI system.

4. How can the Region of Convergence (ROC) be determined?

The ROC can be determined by finding the poles of the transfer function and using the properties of the Laplace transform. If the transfer function is rational, the ROC will be a ring or annulus in the complex plane. The properties of the input signal can also be used to determine the ROC.

5. What happens if the Region of Convergence (ROC) is not specified for a causal LTI system?

If the ROC is not specified, it is assumed to be the entire complex plane. However, this may not always be the case and can lead to incorrect analysis of the system's stability and causality. It is important to determine the ROC to accurately understand the behavior of a causal LTI system.