Find focal length for meniscus convex

In summary, to find the focal length for a meniscus convex lens, use the lens maker's equation and plug in the given values for r and n. For the third and sixth values, use r1 = 38cm and r2 = 59cm to get the correct answer, with the sixth value having the opposite sign.
jwxie

Homework Statement

Find focal length for meniscus convex (3)

hrw7_34-49.gif

Given r = 15, and n = 1.5

Homework Equations

Lens maker's equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the rest except #3 and #6 (they are opposite sign of each other)

I had (1/r1 - 1/r2) gives zero... which is wrong...
I can solve the rest, so I don't really know what else to show... (so I am sorry for not showing any work...)
I spent two hours literally trying to solve this and no luck

Can anyone please help me? Thanks..

Attachments

• hrw7_34-49.gif
    hrw7_34-49.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
Use this : f = (r1r2)/(n-1)(r2-r1), i had a similar question and in the question they gave 2 separate r values, of 38cm or 59cm, so for the 3rd one you use r1=38cm r2=59cm and then you'll get the correct answer, the 6th one will just be the opposite sign, as r1=59cm and r2=38cm

Related to Find focal length for meniscus convex

1. What is the formula for finding the focal length of a meniscus convex lens?

The formula for finding the focal length of a meniscus convex lens is f = R / (n - 1), where f is the focal length, R is the radius of curvature of the convex side of the lens, and n is the refractive index of the lens material.

2. How do I measure the radius of curvature for a meniscus convex lens?

The radius of curvature can be measured by using a spherometer or a radius gauge. These tools have a small needle that is placed on the surface of the lens and measures the distance from the center of the lens to the point where the needle touches the lens.

3. What is the refractive index of a meniscus convex lens?

The refractive index of a meniscus convex lens depends on the material it is made of. Common materials used for convex lenses include glass (with a refractive index of approximately 1.5) and plastic (with a refractive index of approximately 1.4).

4. Can the focal length of a meniscus convex lens be negative?

Yes, the focal length of a meniscus convex lens can be negative. This occurs when the object is placed between the focal point and the lens, causing the image to be formed on the same side as the object. In this case, the focal length is considered negative.

5. How does the thickness of a meniscus convex lens affect its focal length?

The thickness of a meniscus convex lens does not directly affect its focal length. However, it can affect the curvature of the lens and therefore indirectly affect the focal length. A thicker lens may have a smaller radius of curvature, resulting in a shorter focal length.