Find f'(2) from f'(1)=1 and d/dx[f(2x)]=f'(x)

In summary, the homework statement is saying that the derivative of the function f(2x) is f'(x), and that if we find the derivative of f(2x) using the chain rule, we will get f'(2x)2= f'(x) which means f'(2x) = f'(x)/2.
gingermom
Gold Member

Homework Statement

d/dx[f(2x)]=f'(x) and f'(1)=1 find f'(2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so I think this means the derivative of "f(2x)" equals f'(x)
if I find the derivative using the chain rule I would get
f'(2x)2= f'(x)
so f'(2x) = f'(x)/2
Here I am at a loss as to how to use the information about f'(1)=1 to find f'(2).

Do I just substitute 1 for f'(x) and then 1 for x in the f'(2x)? That would make the answer 1/2.

As you would have f'(2)=1/2 Is that correct? Am I trying to make this problem harder than it is?
Is the value of f'(2) the only value I could determine from this data? i.e. I could not determine the value of f'(3).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite your first (given) equation in terms of all f primes. This is actually more of a logic problem than a math problem in my opinion.

Hint* Let x=1

I think you can take it from here.

Likes 1 person
Yes - a logic question is probably a more appropriate term. I am afraid I am missing something. I thought what you suggested is what I did to get the answer. If that is not the case, where are you suggesting I substitute 1 for x? I feel like I am missing a reason why or that I made a leap to a connection that is not quite right.

So, are you suggesting my answer of f'(2) =1/2 is incorrect? Or that my logic is incorrect, or both?

A little more direction would be appreciated - just a first year Calculus student trying to get a grip on this.

well if f'(x)=f'(2x), and f'(1)=1 what does f'(2)=? I know I'm just restating the question here. Substitute 1 for x in the first equation (f'(x)=f'(2x)). Post back what you get when you sub it in if you haven't figured it out yet.

Doesn't that second set of brackets change what we are doing. I thought the d/dx f[f(2x) would mean f'(f(2x)) not f'(2x), so wouldn't that be f'(x) = f'[f(2x)] , not f'(x)=f'(2x). Which is why I applied the chain rule. Maybe I just don't understand the nomenclature.

I think you're misunderstanding what's going on here:

##\frac{d}{dx}f(x) =f'(2x)##

Your book or instructor is just using different notations (probably to make sure you understand what you're doing)

##\frac{d}{dx}f(x)## is the same as saying ##f'(x)##

so what you have here is this:

##f'(x)=f'(2x)## and you know that ##f'(1)=1## since f is a function of x, you're plugging in 1 for x. That's why I told you to sub in 1. Look what happens when you sub in 1 for x in the first equation:

##f'(x)=f'(2x) → f'(1)=f'(2(1))## see it yet?

Maybe I need a break - that just seems like f'(1) =f'(2) which would make the answer 1 ( would it not?) - but my options are 1/4; 1/2; 3/4;3/2; and 5/2.
So my assumption was the lesson was the difference between f'(2x) and f'[f(2x)] and f'[f(2x)] meant I had to apply the chain rule d/dx2x*f'(2x) which would equal 2f'(2x). That would give me the f'(2x) which when I substituted in the 1 would give me f'(2).

That's what I was thinking it was. Maybe I"m misunderstanding the question. Can you post a snap shot?

gingermom said:

Homework Statement

d/dx[f(2x)]=f'(x) and f'(1)=1 find f'(2)

Is this supposed to be:
[itex]\frac{d}{dx}f'(2x)=f'(x)[/itex]
?

Screen shot

I have attached a screen shot. i could not figure out how to insert it in the message. Hope that works.

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 386
gingermom said:
I have attached a screen shot. i could not figure out how to insert it in the message. Hope that works.
d/dx[f(2x)] = f'(2x) * 2, using the chain rule.

So you have 2 * f'(2x) = f'(x)
Evaluate the equation above when x = 1. The answer is one of the options shown in the screenshot.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Rewrite your first (given) equation in terms of all f primes. This is actually more of a logic problem than a math problem in my opinion.
No, it's not a logic problem. It's definitely a calculus problem.

So was my initial analysis correct?

f'[f(2x)] meant I had to apply the chain rule d/dx2x*f'(2x) which would equal 2f'(2x).

f'(2x)2= f'(x)
so f'(2x) = f'(x)/2 I then substitute 1 for x and f'(2)= 1/2?

Thanks for stepping in - I was getting concerned that I was really missing something.

gingermom said:
So was my initial analysis correct?
Mostly.
gingermom said:
f'[f(2x)] meant I had to apply the chain rule d/dx2x*f'(2x) which would equal 2f'(2x).
Yes. My reason for writing "Mostly" above is to correct what you wrote as f'[f(2x)].

The problem stated that d/dx[f(2x)] = f'(x), not f'(f(2x)).

d/dx(<something>) means "take the derivative with respect to x of <something>.
f'(<something>) means to evaluate the derivative f' at <something>.
These are very different, as the first means to find the derivative, and the second means to evaluate a derivative that we have already found.

For example, d/dx(x2) = 2x, but f'(x2) is meaningless unless somebody tells me what f is, from which I can figure out what f' is.

gingermom said:
f'(2x)2= f'(x)
so f'(2x) = f'(x)/2 I then substitute 1 for x and f'(2)= 1/2?
Yes, that's it.
And here you are using the notation correctly. f'(2x) means to evaluate f' (which is not known) at a number 2x.
gingermom said:
Thanks for stepping in - I was getting concerned that I was really missing something.

Likes 1 person
SammyS said:
From your Original Post:
gingermom said:

The Attempt at a Solution

so I think this means the derivative of "f(2x)" equals f'(x)
SammyS said:
The above line is not correct.
I disagree. In the first post, it says "d/dx[f(2x)]=f'(x)", which, in words, is the derivative (w.r.t. x) of f(2x).

Another member posted in this thread, and due to misconstruing what the problem was, launched off in an unproductive direction. gingermom had the correct answer in the first post.

OK, good, Sammy, we're both on the same page.

Mark44 said:
OK, good, Sammy, we're both on the same page.
That's always good to know ! :smile:

Yea, I pretty much misinterpreted that whole problem. Thanks for pointing it out guys.

Related to Find f'(2) from f'(1)=1 and d/dx[f(2x)]=f'(x)

1. What is the value of f'(2)?

The value of f'(2) can be found by using the given information, f'(1)=1 and d/dx[f(2x)]=f'(x). We can start by plugging in 1 for x in the second equation, giving us d/dx[f(2)]=f'(1). Since f'(1)=1, this means that d/dx[f(2)]=1. We can then use the chain rule to find f'(2) by setting 2x=2, which gives us x=1. Therefore, f'(2) is also equal to 1.

2. How do I use the chain rule to find f'(2)?

The chain rule is used in this situation to find f'(2) by setting 2x=2 and solving for x. This is because the given equation, d/dx[f(2x)] is essentially f'(x) but with 2x substituted in for x. So, by setting 2x=2, we are finding the derivative of f(x) when x=2, which is f'(2).

3. Can I use any other methods besides the chain rule to find f'(2)?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to find f'(2) such as using the power rule or product rule. However, the chain rule is the most efficient and straightforward method in this situation.

4. Can I find f'(2) if I only have one piece of information, such as f'(1)=1?

Yes, it is possible to find f'(2) with just one piece of information. In this case, we can use the given information, f'(1)=1, to plug into the equation d/dx[f(2x)]=f'(x) and solve for f'(2). However, having additional information can make the process easier and more accurate.

5. How does the given information, f'(1)=1 and d/dx[f(2x)]=f'(x), help me find f'(2)?

The given information provides the necessary equations to find f'(2). By using f'(1)=1, we can determine that f'(2)=1 as well. The equation d/dx[f(2x)]=f'(x) also helps by allowing us to use the chain rule to find f'(2).