Find expression in terms of time for a particle's velocity?

In summary, the problem involves a particle with an acceleration of (2-2t) cm/s2 after passing a fixed point O on a straight line. After 3 seconds, the particle has a velocity of 5 cm/s. The expression for the velocity of the particle after t seconds is given by v = -t2 + 2t + 8.
Smeato24

Homework Statement

A particle moves along a straight line so that its acceleration t seconds after passing a fixed point O on the line is (2 - 2t) cm/s2. Three seconds after passing O, the particle has a velocity of 5 cm/s. Find and expression, in terms of t, for the velocity of the particle after t seconds.

Homework Equations

a = dv/dt = d2x/dt2

The Attempt at a Solution

From the information, a = -2t + 2 when x = 0, and therefore, by anti-differentiating, v = -t2 + 2t + c.
I assume that the acceleration of the particle stays at -2t + 2 cm/s2 for the rest of its motion, and so tried substituting (t + 3) in for t to get: -2t - 4, the acceleration of the particle after 3 seconds. Here I got stuck. Do I set up simultaneous equations and eliminate? Have I done my anti-differentiation wrong?

Any help appreciated,
Smeato

Physics news on Phys.org
Smeato24 said:

Homework Statement

A particle moves along a straight line so that its acceleration t seconds after passing a fixed point O on the line is (2 - 2t) cm/s2. Three seconds after passing O, the particle has a velocity of 5 cm/s. Find and expression, in terms of t, for the velocity of the particle after t seconds.

Homework Equations

a = dv/dt = d2x/dt2

The Attempt at a Solution

From the information, a = -2t + 2 when x = 0, and therefore, by anti-differentiating, v = -t2 + 2t + c.
I assume that the acceleration of the particle stays at -2t + 2 cm/s2 for the rest of its motion, and so tried substituting (t + 3) in for t to get: -2t - 4, the acceleration of the particle after 3 seconds. Here I got stuck. Do I set up simultaneous equations and eliminate? Have I done my anti-differentiation wrong?

Any help appreciated,
Smeato

You have a correct antderivative, but from there onwards your logic is wrong. Go back and read again exactly what the question tells you.

Thanks Ray, it really was a simple question!
"t seconds after passing O" means that you start counting at zero at the Origin :)

The correct answer is: v = -t2 + 2t + 8

Related to Find expression in terms of time for a particle's velocity?

1. What is the equation for a particle's velocity in terms of time?

The equation for a particle's velocity in terms of time is v(t) = dx/dt, where v(t) represents the velocity at a specific time and dx/dt represents the change in position with respect to time.

2. Can the expression for a particle's velocity be negative?

Yes, the expression for a particle's velocity can be negative. This indicates that the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction, which is typically defined as the direction of increasing time.

3. How is the velocity of a particle related to its acceleration?

The velocity of a particle is directly related to its acceleration. This relationship is described by the equation a(t) = dv/dt, where a(t) represents the acceleration at a specific time and dv/dt represents the change in velocity with respect to time.

4. What are the units of measurement for a particle's velocity?

The units of measurement for a particle's velocity are distance over time, usually expressed as meters per second (m/s) in the SI system or feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

5. How is the velocity of a particle affected by external forces?

The velocity of a particle can be affected by external forces, such as friction or gravity. These forces can cause the velocity to change over time, resulting in a change in the particle's overall speed and direction of motion.