Find expression for electric field from magnetic field

In summary, using the cross product rule, the electric field in Cartesian coordinates is given by-\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t} \times \nabla =-\hat{\jmath} B_0\omega\sin(kz - \omega t)+\hat{\imath} B_0 k \omega \cos(k z - \omega t)
charlief

Homework Statement

In a region of space, the magnetic field depends on the co-ordinate ##z## and is given by $$\mathbf{B} = \hat{\jmath} B_0 \cos \left(kz - \omega t \right)$$ where ##k## is the wave number, ##\omega## is the angular frequency, and ##B_0## is a constant.
The Electric Field in Cartesian coordinates is ##\mathbf{E} = \hat{\imath} E_x + \hat{\jmath} E_y + \hat{k} E_z##. Given that ##E_y = E_z = 0## and ##E_z = \omega B_0/k## at ##z = t = 0##, determine an expression for ##E_x##.

Homework Equations

##\nabla \times \mathbf{E} = -\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the cross product rule, I changed ##\nabla \times \mathbf{E} = -\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t}## to ##-\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t} \times \nabla = \mathbf{E}##. Calculated ## -\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t} = -\hat{\jmath} B_0\omega\sin(kz - \omega t)##. Then working out the cross product I got ##\mathbf{E} = \hat{\imath} \frac{\partial}{\partial z}[-B_0\omega\sin(kz - \omega t)] = -\hat{\imath} B_0 k \omega \cos(k z - \omega t)##. So inputting ##z = t = 0## clearly gives ##B_0 \omega k## instead of ## \omega B_0 / k##.

I cannot see where in my method I have gone wrong and I am not sure this method is correct?
Thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you say that [tex]E_{z}=0[/tex] and then [tex]E_{z}=(\omega B_{0})/k[/tex]. You can't say that the z component of electric field is zero and non zero at the same time... clear that confusion then I'll solve your problem.

AhmirMalik said:
Why do you say that [tex]E_{z}=0[/tex] and then [tex]E_{z}=(\omega B_{0})/k[/tex]. You can't say that the z component of electric field is zero and non zero at the same time... clear that confusion then I'll solve your problem.
Apologies it was a typo, I meant "##E_y = E_z = 0## and ##E_x = (\omega B_0)/k##"

Oh.. then you just have to use this;

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times \vec{B}=\mu_{0}\vec{J}+\mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}[/tex]

Since you don't have any currents, so first term on the right hand side is zero, so you are left with;

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times \vec{B}=\mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}[/tex]

which is easy to solve.

Likes charlief
AhmirMalik said:

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times \vec{B}=\mu_{0}\vec{J}+\mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}[/tex]

Since you don't have any currents, so first term on the right hand side is zero, so you are left with;

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times \vec{B}=\mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}[/tex]

which is easy to solve.
AhmirMalik said:

which is easy to solve.
Thank you very much!

Related to Find expression for electric field from magnetic field

1. What is the relationship between electric field and magnetic field?

The relationship between electric field and magnetic field is described by Maxwell's equations. These equations state that a changing magnetic field can create an electric field, and a changing electric field can create a magnetic field.

2. How do you find the expression for electric field from magnetic field?

The expression for electric field from magnetic field can be found using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced electric field is equal to the negative rate of change of the magnetic flux through a surface.

3. Why is it important to find the expression for electric field from magnetic field?

It is important to find this expression because it helps us understand how electricity and magnetism are related and how they interact with each other. This relationship is crucial in many technological applications, such as generators and motors.

4. Can the expression for electric field from magnetic field be applied in all situations?

No, the expression is valid only for situations where the magnetic field is changing over time. In cases where the magnetic field is constant, the induced electric field will be zero.

5. Is there a difference between the expression for electric field from magnetic field and the expression for magnetic field from electric field?

Yes, there is a difference. The expression for electric field from magnetic field involves the concept of electromagnetic induction, while the expression for magnetic field from electric field involves the concept of Coulomb's law. These two expressions describe different aspects of the relationship between electricity and magnetism.