Find Exact Arc Length of x=e^t + e^-t, y=5-2t, 0 ≤ x ≤ 3

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the exact length of a given curve using the integral equation. The problem is to find the exact length and not an approximation, so the conversation explores different methods to manipulate the terms under the square root in order to get a perfect square. One potential mistake is identified and corrected, leading to the correct solution.
maff is tuff

Homework Statement

Find the exact length of the curve x=e^t + e^-t , y=5-2t , 0≤ x≤ 3

Homework Equations

∫ √ ( (dx/dt)² + (dy/dt)² )dt

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution is hopefully in the attachment. I could use Simpson's and get an approximate length but the directions say to find exact length. So did I mess up my algebra somewhere; I doubt it because this is one of several attempts and I keep getting stuck here. So does anyone know how to get me unstuck? Maybe a trick to make it more integrable? Sorry if I'm missing an obvious step that I can take, but as of now I don't see it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• Arc Length .pdf
    77.8 KB · Views: 191
Physics news on Phys.org
These problems are often contrived so that you should be able to manipulate the terms under the square root into a perfect square.

Check your expansion of [tex]\left(e^t-e^{-t}\right)^2[/tex].

jhae2.718 said:
Check your expansion of [tex]\left(e^t-e^{-t}\right)^2[/tex].

Yep that was it; my expansion was wrong. Thanks for the help :)

No problem. :)

Related to Find Exact Arc Length of x=e^t + e^-t, y=5-2t, 0 ≤ x ≤ 3

1. What is the equation for the given curve?

The equation for the given curve is x=e^t + e^-t, y=5-2t, 0 ≤ x ≤ 3.

2. How do you find the exact arc length of a curve?

To find the exact arc length of a curve, you can use the formula L = ∫√(1+ (dy/dx)^2) dx, where L represents the arc length and the integral is taken over the given range of x values.

3. What is the process for finding the arc length of the given curve?

To find the arc length of the given curve, first find the derivative of y with respect to x. Then use the derivative to substitute into the arc length formula L = ∫√(1+ (dy/dx)^2) dx. Finally, integrate the resulting equation over the given range of x values to find the exact arc length.

4. Can the arc length be approximated using numerical methods?

Yes, the arc length can be approximated using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve dividing the given range of x values into smaller intervals and approximating the curve as a series of straight lines or parabolic curves, respectively.

5. What is the significance of the given range of x values (0 ≤ x ≤ 3)?

The given range of x values is significant because it defines the limits of the curve over which the arc length is being calculated. In this case, the range is from x=0 to x=3, which means the arc length is being calculated for the portion of the curve that lies between these two points.