Find dF/ds in Terms of u, v & w - Conditions and Assumptions

In summary: and the derivative of s with respect to u,v, and w can be found by solving a system of linear equations.
gomunkul51
Hi!

As a part of a mathematical construction I used the rate of change of F(s) with s, i.e. dF/ds. F and s are smooth functions. The problem is that s(u,v,w) is a function of u, v & w and actually I need to find the rate of change of F with respect to u, v & w. The question is: what does dF/ds equals to in terms of u, v & w ?

Thank you in advance !

** Please also provide the conditions and assumptions for the transition.

Physics news on Phys.org
gomunkul51 said:
Hi!

As a part of a mathematical construction I used the rate of change of F(s) with s, i.e. dF/ds. F and s are smooth functions. The problem is that s(u,v,w) is a function of u, v & w and actually I need to find the rate of change of F with respect to u, v & w. The question is: what does dF/ds equals to in terms of u, v & w ?

Thank you in advance !

** Please also provide the conditions and assumptions for the transition.

In this case F must be differentiated in a direction. Different directions will give different derivatives. All of the directional derivatives can be expressed in terms of derivatives in the directions of u,v, and w. This remarkable fact makes multivariate calculus possible.

lavinia said:
In this case F must be differentiated in a direction. Different directions will give different derivatives. All of the directional derivatives can be expressed in terms of derivatives in the directions of u,v, and w. This remarkable fact makes multivariate calculus possible.

F is smooth, i.e. differentiable any number of times in any direction for u,v, and w.
s is a known smooth function of u,v, and w. I need dF/ds in terms that include u,v, and w.

Can you tell me then how do I construct it?

It is probably related to dF/du + dF/dv + dF/dw but not equal to it.

gomunkul51 said:
F is smooth, i.e. differentiable any number of times in any direction for u,v, and w.
s is a known smooth function of u,v, and w. I need dF/ds in terms that include u,v, and w.

Can you tell me then how do I construct it?

It is probably related to dF/du + dF/dv + dF/dw but not equal to it.

I think u,v,and w are functions of the parameter,s,

Related to Find dF/ds in Terms of u, v & w - Conditions and Assumptions

1. What is dF/ds?

dF/ds is a mathematical notation for the derivative of a function F with respect to the variable s. It represents the rate of change of the function at a given point.

2. How do you find dF/ds in terms of u, v, and w?

To find dF/ds in terms of u, v, and w, you must first express the function F in terms of those variables. Then, you can use the chain rule and the product rule to calculate the derivative with respect to s.

3. What are the conditions and assumptions for finding dF/ds?

The conditions and assumptions for finding dF/ds depend on the specific function F and the variables u, v, and w involved. Generally, the function should be differentiable and the variables should be continuous.

4. Can dF/ds be negative?

Yes, dF/ds can be negative. This indicates that the function F is decreasing at that point and the rate of change is negative.

5. How is dF/ds related to the gradient of F?

The gradient of F is a vector that contains the partial derivatives of F with respect to each variable. The magnitude of this vector is equal to dF/ds, and its direction points in the direction of greatest increase of F.