Find derivative of an integral with limits

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Leibnitz's rule for differentiating an integral and the application of this rule in the given problem with one limit being zero. The conversation also mentions the importance of the hypotheses for using Leibnitz's rule.
Fire flame
I'm in analysis and I'm trying to understand the following.

Homework Statement

g(x) = integral from 0 to x+δ of f(x)dx + integral from x-δ to 0 of f(x)dx

g'(x) = f(x+δ) - f(x -δ)

So how do they get g'(x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fire flame said:
I'm in analysis and I'm trying to understand the following.

Homework Statement

g(x) = integral from 0 to x+δ of f(x)dx + integral from x-δ to 0 of f(x)dx

g'(x) = f(x+δ) - f(x -δ)

So how do they get g'(x)?

By Leibnitz rule for differentiation of an integral as a function of the upper limit.
By the way, it's better to use a dummy variable in the integrand:$$
\frac d {dx}\int_a^x f(t)\, dt = f(x)$$

So I understand why there isn't an f(a) since the derivative of a constant is zero, but like in my problem one of my limits is zero and since the function isn't given it could be anything, even something like f(x) = 1/x which at zero is undefined, but in my problem it just goes away to zero. Why? I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Fire flame said:
So I understand why there isn't an f(a) since the derivative of a constant is zero, but like in my problem one of my limits is zero and since the function isn't given it could be anything, even something like f(x) = 1/x which at zero is undefined, but in my problem it just goes away to zero. Why? I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

There are hypotheses on Leibnitz's rule. You can't even talk about, for example, things like$$
F(x) = \int_0^x \frac 1 t\, dt$$because the integral is divergent.

Related to Find derivative of an integral with limits

1. What is the definition of a derivative of an integral with limits?

The derivative of an integral with limits is a mathematical operation that measures the rate of change of the integral as the limits of integration are varied. It represents the instantaneous change in the integral with respect to the limits of integration.

2. How is the derivative of an integral with limits calculated?

The derivative of an integral with limits is calculated using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. This involves taking the integral with respect to one of the limits and evaluating it at the other limit. The resulting expression is then differentiated with respect to the variable in the integral.

3. What is the significance of finding the derivative of an integral with limits?

Finding the derivative of an integral with limits is important in many areas of science and engineering. It allows us to analyze and understand the rate of change of a quantity that is being integrated over a certain range. This can be useful in solving many real-world problems involving rates of change.

4. Can the derivative of an integral with limits be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an integral with limits can be negative. This simply means that the integral is decreasing as the limits of integration are varied. It is also possible for the derivative to be positive or zero, depending on the behavior of the integrand and the limits of integration.

5. Are there any special techniques for finding the derivative of an integral with limits?

Yes, there are several special techniques that can be used to find the derivative of an integral with limits. These include the Chain Rule, Integration by Parts, and Substitution. These techniques can be especially helpful when dealing with more complex integrands or limits of integration.