Find curvature of spiral of archimedes

In summary, the problem is to find the curvature of the spiral of Archimedes with the equation r = 2θ. The attempt at a solution involved converting the polar equation into parametric and taking the derivatives of x, y, and z. The magnitude of the cross product of the resulting vectors was found to be 4θ^2 and the magnitude of v was found to be 8θ^3. The final solution for the curvature was (1/2θ), but it is unclear if this is the correct answer and if the curvature should be in terms of θ or r or both. Further clarification is needed.
meson0731

Homework Statement

Find the curvature of the spiral of Archimedes r = 2θ

Homework Equations

||v x a || / ||v||^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to convert the polar equation into parametric and got
x = 2θsinθ
y = 2θsinθ
z = 0

I think took the derivative of x y and z and got

x' = -2θsinθ + 2cosθ
y' = 2θcosθ + 2sinθ
z' = 0

I then put them into vectors and used the cross product to get v x a and got the magnitude to be 4θ^2. I found ||v||^3 to be 8θ^3 so I got || v x a || / ||v^3|| = (1/2θ) .

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this is correct and I'm not sure if the curvature is supposed to be in terms of θ or r or both. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Related to Find curvature of spiral of archimedes

What is the spiral of Archimedes?

The spiral of Archimedes is a mathematical curve discovered by the ancient Greek mathematician Archimedes. It is formed by continuously drawing a line from a fixed point to a moving point as the moving point rotates around the fixed point at a constant speed.

What is the significance of finding the curvature of the spiral of Archimedes?

The curvature of the spiral of Archimedes is important in understanding the behavior of the curve and its relationship to other mathematical concepts. It can also be used in practical applications, such as designing spiral-shaped structures or analyzing the motion of objects following a spiral path.

How do you find the curvature of the spiral of Archimedes?

The curvature of the spiral of Archimedes can be calculated using the formula: κ = 2πR/(R^2 + h^2), where R is the distance from the fixed point to the moving point and h is the distance between the moving point and the tangent line at the fixed point.

What is the unit of measurement for the curvature of the spiral of Archimedes?

The curvature of the spiral of Archimedes is typically measured in radians per unit length (radians/meter or radians/centimeter). This unit represents the amount of curvature in a certain distance along the curve.

Can the curvature of the spiral of Archimedes be negative?

Yes, the curvature of the spiral of Archimedes can be negative if the curve is concave in certain regions. This means that the curve is bending inward instead of outward. The sign of the curvature is determined by the direction of rotation of the moving point around the fixed point.