Find Current in 3-Phase System

In summary: OP got.In summary, the current measured by Ammeter can be found by using the formula $$I=\Sigma \frac{ve^{j(\omega t+r\alpha)}}{Z_r}$$ where v is the amplitude of the line-to-neutral voltage and alpha is 2π/3. The current found by using Millman's theorem or Thevenin's theorem may also give the correct solution, but the phases of the voltage sources must be taken into account.
crom1

Homework Statement

Find the current measured by Ammeter .
zad2.png

Homework Equations

$$ U_f=\frac{U_l}{\sqrt{3}} $$, Millman's theorem ...

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know I can't just find U_f, divide it with impedance, and add all three currents (I am not 100% sure why I can't do that, can someone explain when can I do just that, and when exactly is forbidden?)
My first idea was to find U_f, find U_{0'0} (with Millman's theorem), subtract those two, and then find current for every phase, add them up and that's it.
However, after trying something else, I found that finding U_{0'0} , and then evaulating
$$ U_{0'0}\cdot (\frac{1}{Z_1}+\frac{1}{Z_2}+\frac{1}{Z_3}) \approx 60 $$

gives correct solution.
Can someone explain why , because it doesn't make any sense to me.
Point 0' is where where 3 lines L1,L2,L3 meet

Physics news on Phys.org
The individual currents will not be in phase since each of the line voltages, while having the same magnitude, have different phases with respect to each other. So you can't simply add the current magnitudes.

Now, thinking of Millman's Theorem was an interesting idea, but consider that you're not looking for the voltage at the end of a set of parallel branches here. The Neutral line effectively shorts your branches. Further, the voltage sources are not in phase so you can't just use their magnitudes. Here's your circuit with the implied voltage sources, including their return path via the neutral line:

upload_2016-1-27_17-22-5.png

I suppose you might use Millman's Theorem as a step in finding a Thevenin equivalent voltage with the neutral open, then find the short circuit current. But you'll still need to incorporate the phases of the voltage sources somehow.

Likes crom1
For the first one, I wasn't thinking of adding their effective values. I meant $$ \frac{U1 \angle 0}{Z1}+ \frac{U2 \angle -120}{Z2}+\frac{U3 \angle -240}{Z3}$$, and looking at your diagram, I would do just that. I do get around 63, which is the closest to correct solution,although the given answers are 40,50,60,70,80.
I forgot to mention that U_{l} = 400V and that makes U_f= 231 V

Should I use Thevenin theorem instead?

EDIT: I do get the same with thevenin's theorem.

Last edited:
I think your first solution is fine and that you need to choose the closest match from the solutions. The Thevenin method should give you the same results.

Likes crom1
Not an area I know, but from a little reading I think you might be making this more complicated than it is.
##V=400e^{j\omega t}## (defining t such that the phase is 0), right?
In those terms, ##I=\Sigma \frac V{Z_r}##. Isn't that easy to evaluate?
I believe that gives one of the offered solutions exactly.

haruspex said:
Not an area I know, but from a little reading I think you might be making this more complicated than it is.
##V=400e^{j\omega t}## (defining t such that the phase is 0), right?
In those terms, ##I=\Sigma \frac V{Z_r}##. Isn't that easy to evaluate?
I believe that gives one of the offered solutions exactly.
I'm not sure what your V represents, or how t is being chosen.

The 400V value that the OP provided should be the line-to-line voltage magnitude (So, |L2 - L1| = |L3 - L2| = |L3 - L1| = 400V). For the star configuration for the sources that I drew, that gives each voltage source the magnitude of 400V/√3, with relative phases of 120° between each.

gneill said:
I'm not sure what your V represents, or how t is being chosen.

The 400V value that the OP provided should be the line-to-line voltage magnitude (So, |L2 - L1| = |L3 - L2| = |L3 - L1| = 400V). For the star configuration for the sources that I drew, that gives each voltage source the magnitude of 400V/√3, with relative phases of 120° between each.
Then I misunderstood what Voltage the 400 referred to, and I forgot to put back in the phases (whoops)
So writing v for amplitude of the line-to-neutral voltage, whatever that is, the current should be ##\Sigma \frac{ve^{j(\omega t+r\alpha)}}{Z_r}##, where ##\alpha=2\pi/3##. With v=400/√3, that agrees with the 63.

Related to Find Current in 3-Phase System

1. What is a 3-phase system?

A 3-phase system is a type of electrical power distribution system that uses three alternating currents, each with a phase difference of 120 degrees. This allows for a more efficient and balanced power transfer compared to single-phase systems.

2. How do you find the current in a 3-phase system?

To find the current in a 3-phase system, you can use the formula I = P/(√3 * V * PF), where I is the current, P is the power, V is the voltage, and PF is the power factor. Alternatively, you can use a clamp meter or ammeter to directly measure the current in each phase.

3. What is the importance of finding the current in a 3-phase system?

Knowing the current in a 3-phase system is important for ensuring the system is operating within safe and efficient parameters. It can also help identify any imbalances or issues in the system that may need to be addressed.

4. How can I calculate the power in a 3-phase system?

The power in a 3-phase system can be calculated using the formula P = √3 * V * I * PF, where P is the power, V is the voltage, I is the current, and PF is the power factor. This formula takes into account the three phases and their phase difference of 120 degrees.

5. Are there any differences in finding the current in a 3-phase system compared to a single-phase system?

Yes, there are some differences. In a 3-phase system, the total current is divided between the three phases, whereas in a single-phase system, the current is carried by only one phase. Additionally, the formula for finding current and power in a 3-phase system is different from that of a single-phase system.