How to Determine Capacitance for Active Power in a Three-Phase System?

In summary, there may be a mistake in either your solution or the book's solution. It is important to double check and verify the calculations to ensure accuracy.
gruba

Homework Statement

In the given AC circuit, electromotive forces form a symmetric and direct three-phase system.
Angular frequency [itex]\omega[/itex], magnitudes [itex]U_{AB},U_{BC},U_{CA}=U[/itex],
resistance [itex]R[/itex], inductance [itex]L[/itex] and coefficient of inductive coupling [itex]k\neq 1[/itex]
are given.
Find capacitance [itex]C[/itex] such that the three-phase generator develops only the active power and find that active power.

2. The attempt at a solution
[itex][/itex]
Total active power is given by [tex]P=3\cdot\frac{\left(\frac{U}{\sqrt 3}\right)^2}{R}[/tex]
where [itex]\frac{\left(\frac{U}{\sqrt 3}\right)^2}{R}[/itex] is the active power of one phase, and
[itex]\frac{U}{\sqrt 3}[/itex] is the voltage of one phase.

Generator needs to develop only the active power, so the reactive power must be zero,
[tex]Q=\mathfrak{I}(\underline{U_{AB}}{\underline{I_1}}^{*}+\underline{U_{BC}}{\underline{I_2}}^{*}+\underline{U_{CA}}{\underline{I_3}}^{*})=0[/tex]

[tex]L_{12}=+kL\Rightarrow \underline{U_{AB}}=j\omega L\underline{I_1}+j\omega kL\underline{I_2},\underline{U_{BC}}=j\omega L\underline{I_2}+j\omega kL\underline{I_1},\underline{U_{CA}}=\frac{\underline{I_3}}{j\omega C}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \underline{I_1}=\frac{\underline{U_{AB}}-k\underline{U_{BC}}}{j\omega L(1-k^2)},\underline{I_2}=\frac{\underline{U_{BC}}-k\underline{U_{AB}}}{j\omega L(1-k^2)}, \underline{I_3}=j\omega C\underline{U_{CA}}[/tex]

First, we find [itex]\underline{U_{AB}}{\underline{I_1}}^{*}[/itex].
[tex]\underline{I_1}=\frac{\underline{U_{AB}}-k\underline{U_{BC}}}{j\omega L(1-k^2)}\cdot \frac{-j\omega L(1-k^2)}{-j\omega L(1-k^2)}=\frac{-j\omega L(1-k^2)\underline{U_{AB}}+j\omega L(1-k^2)k\underline{U_{BC}}}{{\omega}^2L^2(1-k^2)^2}=j\frac{k\underline{U_{BC}}-\underline{U_{AB}}}{\omega L(1-k^2)}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \underline{{I_1}^{*}}=-j\frac{k\underline{U_{BC}}-\underline{U_{AB}}}{\omega L(1-k^2)}[/tex]

[tex]\underline{U_{AB}}{\underline{I_1}}^{*}=-j\frac{kU^2-U^2}{\omega L(1-k^2)}=j\frac{U^2}{\omega L(1+k)}[/tex]

We get [itex]\underline{U_{BC}}{\underline{I_2}}^{*}=\underline{U_{AB}}{\underline{I_1}}^{*}[/itex]

[tex]\underline{U_{CA}}{\underline{I_3}}^{*}=-j\omega CU^2[/tex]

Now, [tex]\underline{U_{AB}}{\underline{I_1}}^{*}+\underline{U_{BC}}{\underline{I_2}}^{*}+\underline{U_{CA}}{\underline{I_3}}^{*}=j\frac{U^2(2-{\omega}^2LC(1+k))}{\omega L(1+k)}[/tex]

[tex]Q=\frac{U^2(2-{\omega}^2LC(1+k))}{\omega L(1+k)}[/tex]
If [itex]Q=0[/itex], then [tex]C=\frac{2}{{\omega}^2L(1+k)}[/tex]

In my book, it says that the solution is [tex]Q=U^2\left(\frac{2+k}{\omega L(1-k^2)}-\omega C\right)=0\Rightarrow C=\frac{2+k}{{\omega}^2L(1-k^2)}[/tex]

Is it a mistake in the book, or in my solution?

Attachments

• circuit.PNG
    circuit.PNG
    1.6 KB · Views: 223
Physics news on Phys.org

It is possible that there is a mistake in your solution. It is always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure that your equations are correct. If you are confident in your calculations, then it is possible that there is a mistake in the book. It is always a good idea to consult with a colleague or an expert in the field to verify your solution and find any potential errors.

Related to How to Determine Capacitance for Active Power in a Three-Phase System?

1. What is a three-phase system?

A three-phase system is a type of electrical power distribution system that uses three alternating currents that are offset by 120 degrees from each other. This allows for a more efficient and balanced distribution of electricity.

2. What are the advantages of a three-phase system?

The main advantage of a three-phase system is that it can transmit more power using less materials compared to a single-phase system. It also provides a more stable and balanced supply of electricity, making it ideal for large power loads.

3. How does a three-phase system work?

A three-phase system works by using three separate conductors to carry the alternating currents. These currents are offset by 120 degrees, which creates a smoother and more constant flow of electricity. The three phases are then combined at the load to provide a higher overall power output.

4. What are common problems encountered in a three-phase system?

Some common problems in a three-phase system include phase imbalances, voltage fluctuations, and power surges. These issues can result in equipment damage and power outages if not addressed properly.

5. How can problems in a three-phase system be solved?

Problems in a three-phase system can be solved by identifying the root cause and taking appropriate corrective measures. This may include balancing the phases, installing surge protection devices, or repairing faulty equipment. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help prevent problems from occurring in the first place.