Find Complex Conjugate of 1/(1+e^(ix))

In summary, the complex number 1/(1+e^(ix)) can be expressed in terms of its real and imaginary parts as: (1+e^(ix))/(2+2 cos x), and the conjugate is (1+e^(-ix))/(2+2 cos x).
nicodemus1
Good Day,

I would like to know how to find the complex conjugate of the complex number 1/(1+e^(ix)).

I got (1+e^(-(ix)))/(2+2 cos x) but the solution is 0.5 sec (x/2) e^(i(x/2)).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards

P.S. Apologies for not using LATEX as it was formatting the expressions wrongly

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, the first step is to actually conjugate, which is simply to replace all $i$'s with $-i$'s:
$$ \frac{1}{1+e^{ix}} \to \frac{1}{1+e^{-ix}}.$$
Next, one thing we could do is to rationalize the denominator to make the result have a real number in the denominator:
$$ \frac{1}{1+e^{-ix}} \cdot \frac{1+e^{ix}}{1+e^{ix}}
=\frac{1+e^{ix}}{1+e^{ix}+e^{-ix}+1}=\frac{1+e^{ix}}{2+2 \cos(x)}.$$
That's slightly different from your result.

Another approach would be to create symmetry where there isn't any, by multiplying top and bottom by $e^{ix/2}$:
$$\frac{1}{1+e^{-ix}} \cdot \frac{e^{ix/2}}{e^{ix/2}}=\frac{e^{ix/2}}{e^{ix/2}+e^{-ix/2}}= \frac{e^{ix/2}}{2 \cos(x/2)},$$
which is where your book's answer comes from.

nicodemus said:
Good Day,

I would like to know how to find the complex conjugate of the complex number 1/(1+e^(ix)).

I got (1+e^(-(ix)))/(2+2 cos x) but the solution is 0.5 sec (x/2) e^(i(x/2)).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards

P.S. Apologies for not using LATEX as it was formatting the expressions wrongly

I would lean towards trying to write your complex number in terms of its real and imaginary parts, then the conjugation is easy...

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{1 + e^{i\,x}} &= \frac{1}{1 + \cos{(x)} + i\sin{(x)}} \\ &= \frac{1 \left[ 1 + \cos{(x)} - i\sin{(x)} \right] }{\left[ 1 + \cos{(x)} + i\sin{(x)} \right] \left[ 1 + \cos{(x)} - i\sin{(x)} \right] } \\ &= \frac{1 + \cos{(x)} - i\sin{(x)} }{ \left[ 1 + \cos{(x)} \right] ^2 + \sin^2{(x)} } \\ &= \frac{1 + \cos{(x)} - i\sin{(x)}}{ 1 + 2\cos{(x)} + \cos^2{(x)} + \sin^2{(x)}} \\ &= \frac{1 + \cos{(x)} - i\sin{(x)} }{ 2 + 2\cos{(x)} } \\ &= \frac{1 + \cos{(x)}}{2\left[ 1 + \cos{(x)} \right] } - i\left\{ \frac{\sin{(x)}}{2 \left[ 1 + \cos{(x)} \right] } \right\} \\ &= \frac{1}{2} - i\left\{ \frac{\sin{(x)}}{2 \left[ 1 + \cos{(x)} \right] } \right\} \end{align*}[/tex]

So the conjugate is [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{2} + i\left\{ \frac{\sin{(x)}}{2 \left[ 1 + \cos{(x)} \right] } \right\} \end{align*}[/tex]

Yes, it is quite simple actually. I used the approach to express the given complex number in x+iy but I made a careless mistake there.

Thank you very much for all your help and advice.

.Hello,

Thank you for your question. To find the complex conjugate of a complex number, we simply need to change the sign of the imaginary part. In this case, the complex number is 1/(1+e^(ix)), so its complex conjugate would be 1/(1+e^(-ix)).

To verify this, we can multiply the original complex number by its conjugate:

(1/(1+e^(ix))) * (1/(1+e^(-ix))) = (1+e^(-ix))/(1+e^(-ix)) = 1

Therefore, we can see that the complex conjugate of 1/(1+e^(ix)) is indeed 1/(1+e^(-ix)).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

1. What is a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate of a complex number is a number with the same real part and opposite imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugate of 3 + 4i is 3 - 4i.

2. How do you find the complex conjugate of a fraction?

To find the complex conjugate of a fraction, you simply take the complex conjugate of the numerator and denominator separately. In the case of 1/(1+e^(ix)), the complex conjugate would be (1-e^(ix))/(1+e^(ix)).

3. What is the significance of finding the complex conjugate of a fraction?

Finding the complex conjugate of a fraction can be useful in simplifying complex expressions and solving equations involving complex numbers. It is also an important concept in the study of complex analysis.

4. What is the complex conjugate of e^(ix)?

The complex conjugate of e^(ix) is e^(-ix). This can be seen by using the fact that the complex conjugate of a product is the product of the complex conjugates, and the complex conjugate of i is -i.

5. Can the complex conjugate of a fraction be simplified further?

In some cases, the complex conjugate of a fraction can be simplified further by using algebraic techniques. However, in the case of 1/(1+e^(ix)), the complex conjugate given above is already in its simplest form.