Find charge field within coaxial cables

In summary, we are given the parameters for two coaxial cylinders - an inner solid cylinder with radius a and charge per unit length of λ, and an outer hollow conductor with inner radius b and outer radius c and charge per unit length of -2λ. We are asked to find the electric field, E(r), for all values of r. Using Gauss' theorem and considering the length of the cable to be finite, L, we can derive the formula E = λ/2πε°r.
physninj

Homework Statement

two very long coaxial cylinders. Inner has radius a and is solid with charge per unit length of λ. Volume is also uniform but not defined by a parameter. Outer is hollow with inner radius b and outer radius c. Outer cylinder is a conductor with charge per unit length of -2λ. Find E(r) for all r in terms of given parameters. you can also view attached picture.

Homework Equations

∫E.dA=qenclosed0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm hung up right away on what to do with the inner radius from 0->a I've got the left side of the equation I think, but I don't know how to get qenclosed in terms of r, if it needs to be. I expect to integrate on that part. Anywho here's where I'm at.

E2∏rh=(1/ε0)∫dq

I've got λ=dq/dh where h represents the length of the cable being considered. All the examples seem to use charge density rather than charge per unit length, using this gives me:

E2∏rh=(1/ε0)∫λdh which is not in terms of r. I suppose I could still integrate it and cancel h on both sides, let me know if that's wrong.

E2∏rh=(λh/ε0)→E2∏r=(λ/ε0)

E(r)=λ/(2∏r*ε0)

Is this wrong for any reason? It doesn't feel right to not use the radius on the right side.

Attachments

• cylinders.JPG
    cylinders.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's consider the cable's length finite, L. The total charge of the inner cylinder would be Q = λL. Applying Gauss' theorem ∫E*dA = λL/ε°, since E is uniform and perpendicular to dA: E∫dA = λL/ε° <=> E(2πrL) = λL/ε° <=> E = λ/2πε°r.
The units on both sides are also ok, so your formula is right.

Last edited:

Related to Find charge field within coaxial cables

What is the purpose of finding the charge field within coaxial cables?

The charge field within coaxial cables is important to determine because it affects the transmission of electrical signals through the cable. By understanding the charge field, we can ensure efficient and accurate transmission of information.

What factors determine the charge field within coaxial cables?

The charge field within coaxial cables is determined by several factors, including the voltage and current of the electricity passing through the cable, the distance between the conductors, and the dielectric material between the conductors.

How do you calculate the charge field within coaxial cables?

The charge field within coaxial cables can be calculated using the formula E = (V / ln(b/a)) * (1 / 2 * pi * epsilon), where E is the electric field strength, V is the voltage, b is the outer radius of the cable, a is the inner radius of the cable, and epsilon is the permittivity of the dielectric material.

What is the significance of the charge field within coaxial cables in terms of safety?

The charge field within coaxial cables is important for safety because it can cause electric shocks if not properly managed. By understanding and calculating the charge field, we can ensure that the cable is properly insulated and the electric field is within safe limits.

Are there any practical applications of understanding the charge field within coaxial cables?

Yes, understanding the charge field within coaxial cables is essential in designing and optimizing communication systems such as cable television, internet, and telephone networks. It is also important in the development of medical equipment and other electrical devices that use coaxial cables.