Magnitude of electric field/Need answer checked

In summary, the problem involves a long coaxial cable with an inner cylindrical conductor of radius a and an outer coaxial cylinder with inner radius b and outer radius c. The outer cylinder has no net charge and is mounted on insulating supports. The inner cylinder has a uniform positive charge per unit length λ. The task is to calculate the magnitude of the electric field at any point between the cylinders, at a distance r from the axis. Using the equation E = (1/4πϵ0)(q/r^2) and q = λ2πr, the solution is E = λ/2ϵ0r. However, it is important to note that some problem variables do not appear in the equation, so it is
WestTXcollegekid

Homework Statement

A long coaxial cable consists of an inner cylindrical conductor with radius a and an outer coaxial cylinder with inner radius band outer radius c. The outer cylinder is mounted on insulating supports and has no net charge. The inner cylinder has a uniform positive charge per unit length λ.
Calculate the magnitude of the electric field at any point between the cylinders a distance r from the axis.
Express your answer in terms of the variables a, b, c, r, λ and constants π and ϵ0.

Homework Equations

E=(1/4πϵ0)(q/r^2)
q= λ2πr

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation above I got (E= λ/2ϵ0r). I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything. I only have one attempt left at answering the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did your relevant equations help you in the solution phase ? I see a lot of the problem variables not appearing in there. Please show your steps in part 3.

Related to Magnitude of electric field/Need answer checked

1. What is the definition of magnitude of electric field?

The magnitude of electric field is a measure of the strength of an electric field at a particular point in space. It is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a small test charge placed at that point.

2. How is the magnitude of electric field calculated?

The magnitude of electric field is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. This can be represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric field magnitude?

The unit of measurement for electric field magnitude is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) in SI units. In CGS units, it is expressed as dynes per statcoulomb (dyn/statC).

4. How does distance affect the magnitude of electric field?

The magnitude of electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases. This relationship is described by Coulomb's Law.

5. Can the magnitude of electric field be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of electric field can be negative. This indicates the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force on a positive test charge. However, the magnitude itself is always positive as it is a measure of the strength of the electric field.