Find Centroid of Bounded Curves

• Thread starter Jbreezy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centroid
In summary: Also for \int xdA you have a (1/2) multiplier in front of the integral.So the centroid is (1.155, .317460) ?Yes, I made a mistake in the first "y" integral- it should have been \int_a^b y(g(y)- f(y)) dy. I don't see the (1/2) multiplier in front of the integral for \int xdA.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Find the centroid bounded by the given curves.
y = x^3 , x+y = 2, y = 0
So if you graph this you will see that if you did it with respect to x you would have the break the graph at the point (1,1). Or at least I think you would have to. So in my book they give the equations

Homework Equations

x bar = (1/A)∫ x(f(x) - g(x)) dx and y bar = (1/A)∫ (1/2) ( f(x)^2 - g(x)^2 ) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was thinking what if I just turned did it with respect to Y.

So would it be OK if I did.

y bar = (1/A)∫ y(f(y) - g(y)) dy and x bar = (1/A)∫ (1/2) ( f(x)^2 - g(x)^2 ) dx

Would this be OK to try? I just want to make sure I have it straight before I plug and chug.
Thanks,
J

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is similar to a center of mass calculation, you can read more here.

Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

y = x^3 , x+y = 2, y = 0
So if you graph this you will see that if you did it with respect to x you would have the break the graph at the point (1,1). Or at least I think you would have to. So in my book they give the equations

Homework Equations

x bar = (1/A)∫ x(f(x) - g(x)) dx and y bar = (1/A)∫ (1/2) ( f(x)^2 - g(x)^2 ) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was thinking what if I just turned did it with respect to Y.
If I'm understanding what you're asking, no, you can't do this. The geometry of the two integrands is very different, so you can't just arbitrarily switch from integrating w.r.t x to integrating w.r.t. y.

For ##\bar{x}##, the typical integration element is the moment for a vertical slice, and looks like x * (yupper - ylower)Δx.

For ##\bar{y}##, the typical integration element is the moment for a horizontal slice, and looks like y * (xright - xleft)Δy.
Jbreezy said:
So would it be OK if I did.

y bar = (1/A)∫ y(f(y) - g(y)) dy and x bar = (1/A)∫ (1/2) ( f(x)^2 - g(x)^2 ) dx

Would this be OK to try? I just want to make sure I have it straight before I plug and chug.
Thanks,
J

The definition of "centroid" of a region is [itex]\bar{x}= \frac{1}{A}\int x dA[/itex] and [itex]\bar{y}= \frac{1}{A}\int ydA[/itex] where A is the area of the region and dA is the differential of area.

In particular, if the region lies between y= f(x) and y= g(x), x between a and b, with f(x)< g(x) for all x in [a, b], then [itex]\int xdA= \int_{x= a}^b\int_{y= (x)}^{g(x)} x dy dx= \int_a^b x(f(x)- g(x))dx[/itex] and [itex]\int_a^b \int_{f(x)}^{g(x)} y dydx= \int_a^b \frac{1}{2}\left[y^2\right]_{f(x)}^{g(x)} dx[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{1}{2}\int_a^b g^2(x)- f^2(x) dx[/itex], just as you say.

But if the region lies between x= f(y) and x= g(y), y between a and b, with f(y)< g(y) for all y in [a, b], you can also do [itex]\int dA[/itex] reversing the orders of x and y. That would give [itex]\int xdA= \int_{y= a}^b\int_{x= f(y)}^{g(y)} x dxdy= \frac{1}{2}\int_a^b g^2(y)- f^2(y) dy[/itex] and [itex]\int ydA= \int_{y= a}^b \int_{x= f(y)}^{g(y)} y dxdy= \int_a^b y(f(y)- g(y))dy[/itex].

In other words, all you are doing is "swapping" x and y. And, of course, it really doesn't matter which axis you call "x" and which "y", as long as you don't get them confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait I'm confused. Mark44 said no and Hallsofivy yes? Or is HallsofIvy saying something different?

Different I should of had dy

Going back to my original post then.
y = x^3 , x+y = 2, y = 0
A = 3/4
So I did x = 1/A (1/2) ∫ (2-y)^2 -(y)^1/3 dy

= 2/3 ∫ 4 - 4y +y^2 - y^(2/3) dy
= (2/3) [ 4y -2y^2 + y^3/3 - (3/5)y^5/3]
evaluate from [0,1] and you get 52/45 = 1.155

And y = (4/3) ∫ y(2-y - y^1/3) dy = (4/3) ∫ 2y -y^2 -^4/3 dy
= (4/3)[y^2 - y^3 /3 - 93/7)^7/3 from [0,1]

= 20/ 63 = .317460

So centroid is (52/45 , 20/ 63)

Yes no ?

HallsofIvy said:
The definition of "centroid" of a region is [itex]\bar{x}= \frac{1}{A}\int x dA[/itex] and [itex]\bar{y}= \frac{1}{A}\int ydA[/itex] where A is the area of the region and dA is the differential of area.

In particular, if the region lies between y= f(x) and y= g(x), x between a and b, with f(x)< g(x) for all x in [a, b], then [itex]\int xdA= \int_{x= a}^b\int_{y= (x)}^{g(x)} x dy dx= \int_a^b x(f(x)- g(x))dx[/itex] and [itex]\int_a^b \int_{f(x)}^{g(x)} y dydx= \int_a^b \frac{1}{2}\left[y^2\right]_{f(x)}^{g(x)} dx[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{1}{2}\int_a^b g^2(x)- f^2(x) dx[/itex], just as you say.

But if the region lies between x= f(y) and x= g(y), y between a and b, with f(y)< g(y) for all y in [a, b], you can also do [itex]\int dA[/itex] reversing the orders of x and y. That would give [itex]\int xdA= \int_{y= a}^b\int_{x= f(y)}^{g(y)} x dxdy= \frac{1}{2}\int_a^b g^2(y)- f^2(y) dy[/itex] and [itex]\int ydA= \int_{y= a}^b \int_{x= f(y)}^{g(y)} y dxdy= \int_a^b y(f(y)- g(y))dy[/itex].

In other words, all you are doing is "swapping" x and y. And, of course, it really doesn't matter which axis you call "x" and which "y", as long as you don't get them confused.
I think you made a mistake

[itex]\int ydA= \int_{y= a}^b \int_{x= f(y)}^{g(y)} y dxdy= \int_a^b y(f(y)- g(y))dy[/itex].

Should if be g(y) - f(y) ? Since f(y) <g(y) ?

Jbreezy said:
I think you made a mistake

[itex]\int ydA= \int_{y= a}^b \int_{x= f(y)}^{g(y)} y dxdy= \int_a^b y(f(y)- g(y))dy[/itex].

Should if be g(y) - f(y) ? Since f(y) <g(y) ?
Yes. The last integral should have an integrand of y(g(y) - f(y)). The upper limit of integration is g(y) and the lower limit is f(y).

Jbreezy said:
Wait I'm confused. Mark44 said no and Hallsofivy yes? Or is HallsofIvy saying something different?

Jbreezy said:
Different I should of had dy
That makes a difference. Also, I'm not sure I understood what you were asking, so we might have interpreted what you wrote in different ways.

Ah. It;s Ok. I usually write like a 6 year old. Doesn't help ...ha!

Related to Find Centroid of Bounded Curves

1. What is the definition of centroid?

The centroid is the geometric center of a shape or object, where all its mass is evenly distributed.

2. How is the centroid of bounded curves calculated?

The centroid of bounded curves is calculated by finding the average of all the x-coordinates and y-coordinates of the points that make up the curve.

3. What is the purpose of finding the centroid of bounded curves?

Finding the centroid of bounded curves is useful in various applications, such as calculating the center of mass of an object, determining the equilibrium position of a structure, and finding the balance point of a shape.

4. Can the centroid of bounded curves be outside the curve itself?

Yes, the centroid can be outside the curve if the shape is not symmetrical. In symmetrical shapes, the centroid will always lie on the axis of symmetry.

5. How does the shape of a bounded curve affect its centroid?

The shape of a bounded curve can greatly affect its centroid. For example, a curve with a larger area on one side will have a centroid that is closer to that side, while a symmetrical curve will have its centroid in the center.