Find C vector, with two known magnitudes

In summary, the conversation discusses using the law of cosines to solve a physics problem, specifically finding the degree of an angle. The conversation includes a request for assistance and a step-by-step explanation of the solution. The final solution involves taking the square root of a specific equation and using the tangent function to find the degree.
Casodd

Homework Statement

https://i.imgur.com/UtLzb34.png

Homework Equations

the law of cosinus

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not been available to scan my work, but I'm kinda stuck at the beginning. And our teacher have not show us this kind of physics yet.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, what method have you already tried? I'm assuming you are using the tail-to-tip method since the law of cosines relevant. What exactly are you having trouble with?

Edit: I would appreciate even just a photo of your work (make sure its neat and legible).

So all I have to do is take the square root of ( |A|^2+ |B|^2cos79 ) ?
and then do tan delta to find the degree? (Which is not the question) ?
picture:
Q87BV0L.png

Thanks for answering.

Attachments

• Q87BV0L.png
    Q87BV0L.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 764
Casodd said:
So all I have to do is take the square root of ( |A|^2+ |B|^2cos79 ) ?
and then do tan delta to find the degree? (Which is not the question) ?
picture:
View attachment 218369

Thanks for answering.
Yes, this looks accurate. That's how I did it. Good job!

Related to Find C vector, with two known magnitudes

1. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of vector C?

The formula for finding the magnitude of vector C is |C| = √(A² + B²), where A and B are the known magnitudes of the other two vectors.

2. How do you find the direction of vector C?

The direction of vector C can be found using trigonometry and the known magnitudes of the other two vectors. The angle between vector C and one of the other vectors can be determined using the inverse tangent function.

3. Can vector C have a magnitude of zero?

Yes, vector C can have a magnitude of zero if the known magnitudes of the other two vectors are also zero. This means that vector C is essentially non-existent.

4. Is it possible to find vector C with only one known magnitude?

No, it is not possible to find vector C with only one known magnitude. Vector C is a combination of two other vectors, so both magnitudes are necessary in order to determine its magnitude and direction.

5. Can vector C have a different direction from the other two vectors?

Yes, vector C can have a different direction from the other two vectors. The direction of vector C is determined by the angle between it and one of the other vectors, so it is possible for it to have a different direction.