Find Basis of Perpendicular Vectors for v1 & v2

In summary, to find the basis for all vectors that are perpendicular to both v1 = (1,1,0,0) and v2 = (1,0,1,1), you can solve a linear homogeneous system by setting the dot product of the row vectors and the column vector to 0. This is the same method used to find a normal vector in 3-D through a cross product.
EvLer

Homework Statement

how do I find the basis for all vectors that are perpendicular to both
v1 = (1,1,0,0) and
v2 = (1,0,1,1)

If it were 3-D I could find a normal vector via cross product, but in n-dimensions... what do I do?

My one thought is to arrange and solve linear homogeneous system:
[v1][x] = 0
[v2][y] = 0

since RHS is the dot product of the row vector (v1 or v2) and the column [x,y]t, and for vectors to be perpendicular, their dot product should be 0.
Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understood correctly and you intend to solve the matrix equation

[tex]\left(
\begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
1 & 0 & 1 & 1
\end{array}
\right)\left(
\begin{array}{c}
x_1&x_2&x_3&x_4
\end{array}\right)=
\left(\begin{array}{c}
0&0
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]

then this is what I would do also.

Related to Find Basis of Perpendicular Vectors for v1 & v2

What are perpendicular vectors?

Perpendicular vectors are two vectors that intersect at a right angle, or 90 degrees. This means that the dot product of the two vectors is equal to zero.

Why is finding the basis of perpendicular vectors important?

Finding the basis of perpendicular vectors is important because it allows us to easily describe and understand the relationship between two vectors. It also helps us to solve equations and perform calculations involving these vectors.

How do you find the basis of perpendicular vectors?

To find the basis of perpendicular vectors, you first need to find the dot product of the two vectors. Then, set the dot product equal to zero and solve for one of the variables. This will give you the value for one of the basis vectors. Then, you can use this value to find the other basis vector by taking the cross product of the first vector and the second vector.

What is the significance of the basis vectors in determining perpendicularity?

The basis vectors are important in determining perpendicularity because they represent the direction of the vectors. If the dot product of two vectors is equal to zero, it means that the basis vectors are orthogonal to each other, which indicates that the vectors are perpendicular.

Can you have more than two basis vectors for perpendicularity?

No, you can only have two basis vectors for perpendicularity. This is because the dot product of two vectors can only equal zero if there are two variables involved. If there were more than two basis vectors, there would be more variables, and the dot product would not equal zero.