Find Basis for diagonal matrix

In summary: So you have the answer.In summary, the book says that a basis for a 2x2 matrix is {1, 0, 0} and a basis for a 3x3 matrix is {0, 0, 1, 0}.
Clandry
I'm not sure how to start this problem.
All i know is a diagonal matrix consists of all 0 elements except along the main diagonal.

But how do I even find a basis for this?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,117
Physics news on Phys.org
What would a basis look like? It would be set of nxn matrices such that... you can do what with them?

haruspex said:
What would a basis look like? It would be set of nxn matrices such that... you can do what with them?

For this case, a basis consists of all matrices such that all nxn diagonal matrices can be written as a linear combination of them?

Clandry said:
For this case, a basis consists of all matrices such that all nxn diagonal matrices can be written as a linear combination of them?
Yes. What's the simplest matrix you can think of that might be useful in creating such a basis?

haruspex said:
Yes. What's the simplest matrix you can think of that might be useful in creating such a basis?

This is where I get stuck. I've only been taught and done problems where the basis is a set of "vectors."

I saw somewhere that the basis for a 2x2matrix is
1 0
0 0

0 1
0 0

0 0
1 0

0 0
0 1

if it were a 2x2 diagonal would it be
1 0
0 0

and
0 0
0 1
?

haruspex said:
Ok. Now try 3x3.

1 0 0
0 0 0
0 0 0

0 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 0

0 0 0
0 0 0
0 0 1if it's an nxn matrix, wouldn't that give an infinite amount of matrices for the bases?The answer in the back of the book is
37. B = {eii | 1 ≤ i ≤ n} the "ii" part is supposed to be subscripts for e. I'm bad at interpreting these kind of answers, what is it saying?

Clandry said:
if it's an nxn matrix, wouldn't that give an infinite amount of matrices for the bases?
You had 2 for 2x2 and 3 for 3x3. Why would you get infinitely many for nxn?

haruspex said:
You had 2 for 2x2 and 3 for 3x3. Why would you get infinitely many for nxn?

oops i mean n amount.

So you have the answer.
The eii notation used in the book apparently means the nxn matrix that has 1 at the (i, i) position and 0 everywhere else. I don't know how standard that is. Should be defined in the book somewhere.

Related to Find Basis for diagonal matrix

1. What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a square matrix where all the elements outside the main diagonal are zero. The main diagonal contains the elements of the matrix, with all other elements being zero.

2. Why is finding the basis for a diagonal matrix important?

Finding the basis for a diagonal matrix is important because it allows us to represent any vector in the vector space as a linear combination of the basis vectors. This simplifies many calculations and makes it easier to understand the properties of the matrix.

3. How do you find the basis for a diagonal matrix?

To find the basis for a diagonal matrix, we can look at the non-zero elements on the main diagonal. These elements will form the basis vectors for the matrix.

4. Can a diagonal matrix have more than one basis?

Yes, a diagonal matrix can have multiple bases. This is because any non-zero scalar multiple of the basis vectors will still span the same vector space.

5. How is the basis for a diagonal matrix related to its eigenvalues?

The basis for a diagonal matrix is directly related to its eigenvalues. The eigenvalues of a diagonal matrix correspond to the non-zero elements on the main diagonal, and the eigenvectors are the basis vectors for the matrix.