Find Arc Length of r(t): Solving Homework Problem

In summary, finding the arc length of r(t) involves using the formula L = ∫√(1 + (dr/dt)^2) dt, which can be evaluated using calculus techniques. A parametric equation is a mathematical representation of a curve or surface in terms of parameters. It is important to find the arc length of r(t) for understanding object motion and solving physics and engineering problems. The arc length cannot be negative and there are other methods for finding it, such as using parametric equations for a straight line or a circle. However, the integral formula is a general method that can be applied to any parametric equation.
megr_ftw

Homework Statement

Find the arc length of r(t)= <10sqrt(2), e^10t, e^-10t>, 0 <_ t <_ 1.
<_ is greater than or equal to.

Homework Equations

arc length= integral(magnitude of the derivative of r(t))

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought I figured the answer out and got an arc length of 31149.3, but my online homework is telling me this is the wrong answer. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't tell you what you did wrong if we can't see your work. Please show us what you got for r'(t) and |r'(t)|.

Related to Find Arc Length of r(t): Solving Homework Problem

1. How do you find the arc length of r(t)?

To find the arc length of r(t), you can use the formula:
L = ∫√(1 + (dr/dt)^2) dt
where r(t) is the parametric equation and dr/dt is its derivative. You can then evaluate this integral using calculus techniques to find the arc length.

2. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a mathematical representation of a curve or surface in terms of one or more variables, known as parameters. These equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the motion of objects in space.

3. Why is it important to find the arc length of r(t)?

Knowing the arc length of r(t) can help us understand the motion of an object in space. It can also be useful in solving various physics and engineering problems, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object or determining the speed at which it is moving.

4. Can the arc length of r(t) be negative?

No, the arc length of r(t) cannot be negative. It represents the distance along the curve, which is always a positive value. If you get a negative value when calculating the arc length, it usually means there was an error in your calculations.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the arc length of r(t)?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the arc length of r(t), such as using parametric equations for a straight line or a circle. These methods may be simpler or more efficient depending on the specific problem at hand. However, the integral formula mentioned in question 1 is a general method that can be applied to any parametric equation.