Find Arc Length of Astroid: Integral Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the graph of the equation x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = 7^(2/3), which is part of a family of curves called asteroids. The homework problem involves finding the length of the curve in the first quadrant and multiplying it by 8. The poster is struggling with finding the length integral and is unsure how to evaluate it without a calculator. They are advised to differentiate the equation implicitly to make the problem easier to solve.
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

the graph of the equation x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = 7^(2/3) is one of the family of curves called asteroids.

Homework Equations

find the length of first-quadrant and multiply by 8.
1. y=(7^(2/3) - x^(2/3))^(3/2)) ; 7sqrt(2)/4 <= x <= 7

The Attempt at a Solution

1. i found dy/dx, (dy/dx)^2, and now I'm at the length integral.
2. L = integral sqrt(1+7^(2/3) * x^(2/3) - x^(4/3))

i'm not sure how to evaluate this integral (#2) without using a calculator, but that doesn't give me the exact answer that i need.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get a simpler expression for ##1 + y'^2##. Please show your work.

dy/dx = -x^1/3 (7^2/3 - x^2/3)^(1/2)
(dy/dx)^2 = x^(2/3) * (7^(2/3) - X^(2/3)V ----> 7^(2/3)* X^(2/3) - X^(4/3)

L = ∫ (x=a to x=b) SQRT(1 + 7^(2/3) * x^(2/3) - x^(4/3))

Last edited:
Instead of converting the equation to the form y = f(x), just differentiate the equation as given. It's less messy, so less prone to error.

it's already solved for y that's how the want you to solve it.

whatlifeforme said:
it's already solved for y that's how the want you to solve it.

That is not the easy way to solve it and is probably why you are having trouble. Differentiate the equation ##x^{2/3} + y^{2/3} = 7^{2/3}## implicitly with respect to ##x## to get ##y'## and calculate ##1 + y'^2##. Show us what you get.

Related to Find Arc Length of Astroid: Integral Solution

1. What is an astroid?

An astroid is a mathematical curve that was first studied by the Greek mathematician, Archimedes. It is also known as a "star-shaped curve" due to its four cusps, resembling a four-pointed star.

2. How do you find the arc length of an astroid?

The arc length of an astroid can be found using an integral solution, which involves integrating the arc length formula with respect to the variable of the parameterization of the curve. This process yields the total length of the curve from one point to another.

3. What is the formula for finding the arc length of an astroid?

The formula for finding the arc length of an astroid is: L = ∫√(x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2) dt, where x'(t) and y'(t) represent the first derivatives of the parametric equations of the astroid curve.

4. Can the arc length of an astroid be found using other methods?

Yes, the arc length of an astroid can also be found using the Pythagorean theorem and geometric calculations. This method involves breaking the curve into smaller, straight segments and calculating the length of each segment before adding them together to get the total arc length.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding the arc length of an astroid?

Yes, the astroid curve has been used in the design of gears, which are used in various machines and vehicles. The shape of the astroid ensures smooth and efficient movement, making it a useful tool in engineering and design.