Find angle with pith ball and vertical wall

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle at which a 10.0 g pith ball, with a charge of 1.52 μC, hangs from a thread attached to a charged vertical wall with a surface charge density of σ = 3.57 μC/m2. The calculation involves using the equations Tcosθ=mg and Tsinθ=F to find the value of F, which is then used to solve for the angle using the equation tanθ=F/mg. After some corrections were made to the calculations, the correct angle was found to be 72.3 degrees.
britt
1. The Question:
A 10.0 g pith ball, carrying a charge of 1.52 μC hangs from a thread attached to a charged vertical wall carrying a surface charge density σ = 3.57 μC/m2. Find the angle that the thread makes with the vertical.

Homework Equations

3. My attempt:

Tcosθ=mg Tsinθ=F
Canceling tension (sinθ/cosθ)=tanθ=(F/mg)
F=mgtanθ
σ=2ε0E
E=σ/2ε0=201694.9153
F=EQ=(201694.9153)(1.52E-6)=0.3065762712

F/mg= 0.0031283293 = tanθ
tan-1(0.0031283293) = 0.17924

Is this the correct angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
britt said:
1. The Question:
A 10.0 g pith ball, carrying a charge of 1.52 μC hangs from a thread attached to a charged vertical wall carrying a surface charge density σ = 3.57 μC/m2. Find the angle that the thread makes with the vertical.

Homework Equations

3. My attempt:

Tcosθ=mg Tsinθ=F
Canceling tension (sinθ/cosθ)=tanθ=(F/mg)
F=mgtanθ
σ=2ε0E
E=σ/2ε0=201694.9153
F=EQ=(201694.9153)(1.52E-6)=0.3065762712

F/mg= 0.0031283293 = tanθ
tan-1(0.0031283293) = 0.17924

Is this the correct angle?

Check your calculation of F/mg. The resulting value looks too small. Did you perhaps forget to change grams into kg for the mass?

Likes 1 person
what are you using for Fgrav? (check the mass units!)

Likes 1 person
when i changed g to kg i got the angle to be 72.3

britt said:
when i changed g to kg i got the angle to be 72.3

Yup. That looks better :smile:

Likes 1 person

Related to Find angle with pith ball and vertical wall

1. How does a pith ball determine the angle with a vertical wall?

A pith ball is a small, lightweight object that is attracted to charged surfaces. When placed near a vertical wall, the pith ball will be attracted to the wall due to the electric field created by the wall's charges. The angle between the pith ball and the wall can be measured using a protractor or by using trigonometry to calculate it from the distance between the pith ball and the wall.

2. What factors affect the angle between a pith ball and a vertical wall?

The angle between a pith ball and a vertical wall is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance between the pith ball and the wall, and the charge of the pith ball. The angle will also vary depending on the material of the wall and the surrounding environment.

3. How is the angle between a pith ball and a vertical wall related to the electric field?

The angle between a pith ball and a vertical wall is directly related to the strength of the electric field. A stronger electric field will result in a larger angle between the pith ball and the wall, while a weaker electric field will result in a smaller angle.

4. Can the angle between a pith ball and a vertical wall be used to determine the strength of the electric field?

Yes, the angle between a pith ball and a vertical wall can be used to determine the strength of the electric field. By measuring the angle and knowing the distance between the pith ball and the wall, the strength of the electric field can be calculated using trigonometry.

5. How is the angle between a pith ball and a vertical wall used in experiments?

The angle between a pith ball and a vertical wall can be used in experiments to study the behavior of electric fields. By varying the charge of the pith ball or the distance between the pith ball and the wall, scientists can observe how the angle changes and use this information to better understand the properties of electric fields.