MasteringPhysics: Find the angle between the point charges.

In summary, the problem involves two point charges on threads that repel each other, and the goal is to find the angle between the threads. Using equations for force and gravity, we can set up an equation with all the thetas on one side. By assuming that θ is a small angle, we can simplify the equation to use the Maclaurin series expansion for sinθ and cosθ. This allows us to approximate that sinθ≈θ and cosθ≈1, making tanθ≈θ. Solving the simplified equation gives us the correct answer of 4.1 degrees.
danielhep

Homework Statement

upload_2017-3-10_22-15-30.png

Two m = 4.0 g point charges on 1.0-m-long threads repel each other after being charged to q = 80 nC , as shown in the figure. What is the angle θ? You can assume that θ is a small angle.

Homework Equations

Fe=kq2/r2
F=ma
Fg=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Equation 1:[/B]
r = 2sinθ
Fe=kq2/(2sinθ)2
Equation 2:
tanθ=Fe/Fg
Fgtanθ=Fe
Combining Them:
Fgtanθ=kq2/(2sinθ)2
Fgtanθ=kq2/(4(sinθ)2)
(sinθ)2tanθ=kq2/(4Fg)
(sinθ)2tanθ=kq2/(4mg)

Okay, so now I have an equation with all the thetas on one side. So I tried to plug it into Wolfram Alpha to solve for theta, but it is giving me some really weird results. I'm not quite sure where I went wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated! Here's the Wolfram Alpha link. Thanks!

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...*(8*10^-9)^2/(4*4*10^-3*9.8)+for+x+in+degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your equations, but
danielhep said:
You can assume that θ is a small angle.
..this means you can use,
sinθ=tanθ≈θ (in radian).

cnh1995 said:
I didn't check your equations, but

..this means you can use,
sinθ=tanθ≈θ (in radian).
Hm, I tried that and it didn't seem to work unfortunately.
Why is it that I can make that assumption anyway?

EDIT: Just used all my attempts and got that the correct answer is 4.1 degrees. Still need to figure this out since it's for studying.

danielhep said:
Hm, I tried that and it didn't seem to work unfortunately.
Why is it that I can make that assumption anyway?
It comes from the Maclaurin series expansion for sinθ and cosθ, where θ is in radian.
sinθ=θ-(θ3/3!)+(θ5/5!)-..

cosθ=1+(θ2/2!)+θ4/4!+...

You can see for small angle θ, sinθ≈θ and cosθ≈1 as higher order terms can be safely neglected.
Hence, tanθ≈θ.

danielhep said:
it didn't seem to work unfortunately.
Did you convert the answer from radians into degrees?

cnh1995 said:
Did you convert the answer from radians into degrees?
Yes, here's my link.

Your work is fine. You should get the correct answer if you use cnh1995's suggestion. (I did.)

vela said:
Your work is fine. You should get the correct answer if you use cnh1995's suggestion. (I did.)
Hmmm. 4.1 degrees? Can you look at my link here and see what I entered wrong?
danielhep said:
Yes, here's my link.

Thank you all for helping me through this btw!

##\sin^2 \theta \,\tan\theta \approx \theta^3##

vela said:
##\sin^2 \theta \,\tan\theta \approx \theta^3##
Ah yes, good catch.
I wrapped the whole thing in a cube root and the answer is closer to correct but still not there. I'm probably missing something simple but I am just not seeing it.
Link

EDIT: I got it! I had 8 nC instead of 80. Thank you all!

Related to MasteringPhysics: Find the angle between the point charges.

1. What is MasteringPhysics?

MasteringPhysics is an online learning platform designed to help students practice and improve their understanding of physics concepts through interactive assignments, tutorials, and assessments.

2. How does MasteringPhysics help with finding the angle between point charges?

MasteringPhysics provides a variety of practice problems and simulations that allow students to apply their knowledge of electric charges and forces to determine the angle between point charges. These activities help students develop a deeper understanding of the concept and improve their problem-solving skills.

3. Can MasteringPhysics be used for both high school and college level physics?

Yes, MasteringPhysics offers courses and materials for both high school and college level physics, covering topics such as electricity and magnetism, mechanics, thermodynamics, and more.

4. Is MasteringPhysics accessible on all devices?

Yes, MasteringPhysics is accessible on desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones, making it convenient for students to access and complete assignments anytime, anywhere.

5. Are there any additional resources available on MasteringPhysics to further enhance understanding of finding the angle between point charges?

Yes, MasteringPhysics offers additional resources such as videos, animations, and interactive simulations to help students visualize and understand the concept of finding the angle between point charges. These resources can be accessed through the platform and provide further practice and reinforcement of the concept.