Find and Classify the critical points of f(x,y)

In summary, you find that x=0 and y=0 are critical points when solving for the value of a valuable when f_x=0 and f_y=0.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

f(x,y)= 16(y^2) +(x^4) y + 4(x^2) + 4

My problem is recognizing which critical points to consider valuables.

Homework Equations

fxx, fyy, fxy, and second partials test.
D=fxx(fyy)- (fxy)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found:
fx=0
4(x^3)y +8x=0
(x^2) y= -2
Now, from here I can discern that either
x=+-1 , y= -2 **this solution is not considered in the solutions manual. Anyone care to explain**
OR
x=2, y= -(1/2) OR
x= -2, y= -1/2
Also, I was thinking about plugging in values of the other fy=0 part. It gets even more complicated.

Now:
fy=0
32y + (x^4) =0
y= -(x^4)/32
From here the only thing I thought about was
x=0, y=0.
I also thought about solving for y and replacing on the other fx equation, but things don't look good and the solutions shows that it's wrong.

Can anyone give me tips to discern critical points?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. Thank you. I found a solution.

The values of x and y have to fit in both fx and fy. Also, replacing y (- (x^4)/32) in fx will yield the solutions:
x=2, y=(-1/2)
x= -2, y= -1/2

A question still remains, why is x=0, y=0 considered? It does not fit with both equations.
It only fits in fy.

I found an explanation, but I might be wrong. I am often.
It comes from computing the first partial:
fx=0
4(x^3)y+8x=0
x(4(x^2)y+ 8) =0, here I can say that x=0 and plug this value of x in fy.

Here fy=0:
32y+x^4=0
32y=-x^4
y= -(x^4)/32, if x=0--> y=0. So, x=0 and y=0 is also a critical point.

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Delete this post. Sorry.

Last edited:
According to the forum rules, instead of replying continuously to your own replies, please edit your last post to make any changes.

You can use "Edit:" on a new line, followed by whatever you want to add.

knowLittle said:

Homework Statement

f(x,y)= 16(y^2) +(x^4) y + 4(x^2) + 4

My problem is recognizing which critical points to consider valuables.

Homework Equations

fxx, fyy, fxy, and second partials test.
D=fxx(fyy)- (fxy)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found:
fx=0
4(x^3)y +8x=0
(x^2) y= -2
Now, from here I can discern that either
x=+-1 , y= -2 **this solution is not considered in the solutions manual. Anyone care to explain**
OR
x=2, y= -(1/2) OR
x= -2, y= -1/2
Also, I was thinking about plugging in values of the other fy=0 part. It gets even more complicated.

Now:
fy=0
32y + (x^4) =0
y= -(x^4)/32
From here the only thing I thought about was
x=0, y=0.
I also thought about solving for y and replacing on the other fx equation, but things don't look good and the solutions shows that it's wrong.

Can anyone give me tips to discern critical points?

Thank you.

As a matter of presentation (and to prevent yourself from making errors), _first_ write down both f_x and f_y, _then_ deal with the equations f_x = 0 and f_y = 0. The problem with first writing f_x = 0 and manipulating it is that you might accidentally drop one or more of the possible roots (as you did above). If you are a bit more systematic it will help you in the long run.

RGV

I don't know which roots I missed.
f_x= 4(x^3)y + 8x
f_y=32 y + x^4

knowLittle said:
I don't know which roots I missed.
f_x= 4(x^3)y + 8x
f_y=32 y + x^4

f_x = 0 --> 4*x*(y*x^2 + 2) = 0, so either x = 0 or y*x^2 + 2 = 0. When you did it originally you missed the root x = 0. You found it again, later---but that is the point: it is easy to go astray if you are not systematic. Being systematic also makes *marking* your work easier, which means that the marker is less likely to take off points because they cannot follow what you are doing.

RGV

Ok. Thank you.

So, my reasoning is correct for the final result. Right?

Related to Find and Classify the critical points of f(x,y)

What is the definition of a critical point?

A critical point of a function is a point where the gradient (or slope) of the function is equal to zero. This means that the function has a horizontal tangent line at that point, and can be either a maximum, minimum, or saddle point.

How do you find the critical points of a function?

To find the critical points of a function, you must first take the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable (in this case, x and y). Then, set each partial derivative equal to zero and solve for x and y. The resulting values for x and y will be the critical points of the function.

What is the significance of critical points in a function?

Critical points are important in understanding the behavior of a function. They can tell us where the function has local extrema (maximum or minimum values) and whether those extrema are relative or absolute. They can also help us identify the shape of the function and whether it has any points of inflection.

How do you classify a critical point?

To classify a critical point, we use the second derivative test. This involves taking the second partial derivatives of the function and plugging in the values of x and y from the critical point. If the resulting value is positive, the critical point is a minimum. If the resulting value is negative, the critical point is a maximum. If the resulting value is zero, the test is inconclusive and further analysis is needed.

Can a function have more than one critical point?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical points. These points can be located at different places on the function, and each one can have a different classification (maximum, minimum, or saddle point). It is important to find and classify all critical points in order to fully understand the behavior of a function.