Find all the critical points of the function

In summary, to solve for x in the equation f(x) = x ln(x), use the product rule to find the derivative, set the derivative equal to 0, and then solve for x. When dealing with ln(x), you can either search for a value that makes ln(x) equal to a certain number or subtract a number from both sides to make ln(x) equal to 1. Then, simply solve for x using basic algebra.
Dustobusto
Homework Statement

f(x) = x ln(x)

The attempt at a solution

f'(x) = product rule, resulting in 1 + ln (x)

So by way of solving the problem, set 1 + ln (x) = 0

Now idealistically, find something in x that, when added to 1, equals zero.

Now here's a problem I have. How do I know when to keep searching for something in ln (x) and when to subtract one on both sides to make ln (x) = 1 ? And even when I get to that point, how to I move forward?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dustobusto said:
Homework Statement

f(x) = x ln(x)

Now here's a problem I have. How do I know when to keep searching for something in ln (x) and when to subtract one on both sides to make ln (x) = 1 ? And even when I get to that point, how to I move forward?

I'm not sure why you are so confused. You want to solve log(x)=(-1). Exponentiate both sides.

Dustobusto said:
Homework Statement

f(x) = x ln(x)

Add -1 to both sides to get ln(x) = -1
Now solve for x.

Related to Find all the critical points of the function

1. What are critical points in a function?

Critical points in a function refer to the values of the independent variable at which the derivative of the function is equal to zero or undefined.

2. How do you find critical points of a function?

To find critical points of a function, you must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the values of the independent variable that make the derivative equal to zero. These values are the critical points of the function.

3. Why is it important to find critical points of a function?

Finding critical points of a function is important because it allows us to identify the maximum and minimum points of the function, where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. These points are crucial in understanding the behavior of a function and can help us solve optimization problems.

4. Can a critical point be a point of inflection?

No, a critical point cannot be a point of inflection. A critical point is where the derivative of the function is equal to zero or undefined, while a point of inflection is where the concavity of the function changes. These are two distinct concepts and can occur at different points in a function.

5. Is it possible for a function to have no critical points?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have no critical points. This occurs when the derivative of the function is never equal to zero or undefined, which means the function is either always increasing or always decreasing. In this case, the function does not have any maximum or minimum points.