Find a particular solution of y"+2y'+y=8x^2*cosx-4xsinx

In summary, to find a particular solution for the equation y"+2y'+y=8x^2*cosx-4xsinx, we can use the method of undetermined coefficients. By setting up a system of equations and solving for the coefficients, we can determine a particular solution that satisfies the given equation. This method is useful when dealing with non-homogeneous differential equations, as it allows us to find a solution without having to integrate the entire equation.
Math10

Homework Statement

Find a particular solution of y"+2y'+y=8x^2*cosx-4xsinx. The answer is yp=-(14-10x)cosx-(2+8x-4x^2)sinx.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

r^2+2r+1=0
(r+1)^2=0
r=-1, -1
y=Axe^(-x)+Be^(-x)
So what should the initial guess yp be for this problem? How to find the initial guess yp?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Find a particular solution of y"+2y'+y=8x^2*cosx-4xsinx. The answer is yp=-(14-10x)cosx-(2+8x-4x^2)sinx.

Homework Equations

None.

r^2+2r+1=0
(r+1)^2=0
r=-1, -1
y=Axe^(-x)+Be^(-x)
So what should the initial guess yp be for this problem? How to find the initial guess yp?
The particular solution is not necessarily related to the complementary, or homogeneous, solution. Often times, yp can be found only by trial and error.

For some RHS, there are definite candidates to try, as can be seen here:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/UndeterminedCoefficients.aspx

There's a table at the end of Example 4, part way down from the top of the page, which gives particular solutions for different forms of the RHS of non-homogeneous equations.

Likes Math10
So shouldn't yp=(Ax^2+Bx+C)cosx+(Dx+E)sinx?

Math10 said:
The OP said find 'a particular solution' to the given ODE. I don't know if the answer in your book is the only one which satisfies this equation.

Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None.

r^2+2r+1=0
(r+1)^2=0
r=-1, -1
y=Axe^(-x)+Be^(-x)

Determine the Green's Function ##G(x)## for ##y'' + 2 y' + y##; this is the solution ##G(x) = y(x)## that solves the "almost-homogeneous" equation
[tex] y''(x) + 2 y'(x) + y(x) = \delta(x) [/tex]
where ##\delta(x)## is the "Dirac Delta". Then, for ##x \geq 0## and RHS ##f(x)## on ##x \geq 0## (i.e., ##f(x) = 0 ## for ##x < 0##) a particular solution of ##y'' + 2 y' + y=f## is
[tex] y_p(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} G(x-s) f(s) \, ds = \int_{s=0}^{\infty} G(x-s) f(s) \, ds [/tex]
You can find an appropriate ##G(x)## by noting that ##G''(x) + 2 G'(x) + G(x) = 0## for ##x < 0## and for ##x > 0##, which implies
[tex] G(x) = \begin{cases}
A_1 x e^{-x} + B_1 e^{-x}, & x < 0 \\
A_2 x e^{-x} + B_2 e^{-x}, & x > 0
\end{cases}[/tex]
for constants ##A_1,A_2,B_1,B_2##. We need additional conditions: ##G(-0) = G(+0)## (continuity of ##G## at x=0) and ##G'(+0) - G'(-0) = 1## (jump condition on first derivative at x=0). Usually we impose two additional boundary conditions (at ##\pm \infty## for example) in order to get four equations in the four unknowns ##A_1,B_1,A_2,B_2##. For example, if we want ##G(x)## to either remain bounded or have moderate growth at large ##|x|## we can take ##A_1 = B_1 = 0##.

Math10 said:
You should include an x2sin(x) term too because there is a y' on the left, and the x2cos(x) term on the right might come from that.

I tried yp=(Ax^2+Bx+C)cosx+(Dx^2+Ex+F)sinx but it seems weird at the end because I got D+A=4 with 4D+E+B=-2.

SteamKing said:
The OP said find 'a particular solution' to the given ODE. I don't know if the answer in your book is the only one which satisfies this equation.

It is the only answer in this sense. If ##y_p## and ##y_q## are both particular solutions of the NH equation, then their difference is a solution of the homogeneous and can be accounted for by the choice of the two arbitrary constants in the complementary solution:$$
y_p - y_q = Ae^{-x} + Bxe^{-x}$$

Math10 said:
4D+E+B=-2
I don't get that.
You should get 6 equations altogether, so probably enough to find all six constants.

Likes Math10
Math10 said:
I tried yp=(Ax^2+Bx+C)cosx+(Dx^2+Ex+F)sinx but it seems weird at the end because I got D+A=4 with 4D+E+B=-2.

If you use the approach outlined in #5, you can write down an answer with no guesswork at all. A good Green's function for this problem is ##G(x) = x e^{-x} \, 1_{\{ x > 0 \}}##, so a particular solution for your inhomogeneous DE (with RHS = 0 for ##x < 0##) is
[tex]y_p(x) = \int_{\Re} G(x-y) f(y) dy = \int_0^x (x-y) e^{-(x-y)} (8y^2 \, \cos\,y- 4y \sin\, y) \, dy, [/tex]
which evaluates to
[tex] y_p(x) = (4x^2-8x-2)\sin(x)+(10x-14) \cos(x)+6xe^{-x}+14 e^{-x}. [/tex]
Since the last two terms here are just two solutions to the homogeneous DE, we can get another particular solution by dropping them, leaving the function in your answer. One advantage of this method is that for any RHS of the form ##f(x) 1_{\{x>0\}}## we can immediately write
[tex] y_p(x) = \int_0^x (x-y) e^{-(x-y)} f(y) \, dy, [/tex]
so the problem is reduced to evaluation of an integral.

haruspex said:
I don't get that.
You should get 6 equations altogether, so probably enough to find all six constants.

You're totally right. When I checked my work, I found my mistakes. Now I found all six constants and the answer is right. Thanks for mentioning about that.

SteamKing said:
The particular solution is not necessarily related to the complementary, or homogeneous, solution. Often times, yp can be found only by trial and error.

For some RHS, there are definite candidates to try, as can be seen here:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/UndeterminedCoefficients.aspx

There's a table at the end of Example 4, part way down from the top of the page, which gives particular solutions for different forms of the RHS of non-homogeneous equations.

@SteamKing , that website above was really helpful. Thanks a lot for the help.

Related to Find a particular solution of y"+2y'+y=8x^2*cosx-4xsinx

1. What is a particular solution of a differential equation?

A particular solution of a differential equation is a specific function that satisfies the given equation. It is used to find the general solution, which is a family of functions that satisfy the equation.

2. How can I find a particular solution of a differential equation?

To find a particular solution, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. These methods involve finding a particular form of the solution and then solving for the coefficients that make it satisfy the equation.

3. What does the term "y" represent in the given differential equation?

In this equation, y represents the dependent variable, which is the function we are trying to solve for. It is a function of the independent variable, x.

4. What do the terms "y'" and "y''" mean in the given differential equation?

The term "y'" represents the first derivative of the function y with respect to the independent variable x. Similarly, "y''" represents the second derivative of y.

5. How can I verify that a particular solution is correct?

To verify a particular solution, you can substitute it into the original differential equation and check if it satisfies the equation. The left side of the equation should equal the right side when the particular solution is plugged in.