Find a matrix with S as its nullspace

In summary: I think vela is explaining why [4,-1,1,4] is not the right answer. Yes, that is correct. The matrix A=[4,-1,1,4] does not have the desired nullspace of d(-3,-12,-4,1).The correct answer is "In summary, the nullspace for the given subspace S is not of the form d(-3, -12, -4, 1). To find a matrix that has this specific nullspace, one would need to use a different approach, such as setting up a coefficient matrix and solving for the specific vectors that send it to the zero vector."
pondzo

Homework Statement

Let S be the subspace of R4 given by the solution set of the equations
-b + c + d = a - 3 c and -a - 2 d = d = a - c

Find an example of a matrix for which S is the nullspace.

Homework Equations

Ax=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found that the solution space and hence the null-space can be defined as d(-3,-12,-4,1)
so now all that's left is to find a matrix A. that satisfies Ax=0, right?
I entered one such matrix, namely A= [4,-1,1,4] and the program says its incorrect, where have i gone wrong?

thanks, Michael.

Physics news on Phys.org
pondzo said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Ax=0

I have found that the solution space and hence the null-space can be defined as d(-3,-12,-4,1)
To begin with, this is wrong. From -b+ c+ d= a- 3c we can get b= 4c+ d- a, From -a- 2d= d, a= 3d. From d= a- c, c= a- d= 2d. So b= 4(2d)+ d- 3d= 6d. (a, b, c, d)= (3d, 6d, 2d, d)= d(3, 6, 2, 1)

I entered one such matrix, namely A= [4,-1,1,4] and the program says its incorrect, where have i gone wrong?

thanks, Michael.

HallsofIvy said:
From -a- 2d= d, a= 3d

This is in fact wrong, as a=-3d not a=3d

so if that means my basis for the nullspace was correct. Then how would i go about finding a matrix that has that nullspace?

pondzo said:
so if that means my basis for the nullspace was correct. Then how would i go about finding a matrix that has that nullspace?

A linear map [itex]A: \mathbb{R}^4 \to \mathbb{R}^4[/itex] is determined by the images of the standard basis vectors [itex]\{\mathbb{e}_i : i = 1, 2, 3, 4\}[/itex].

Here you can choose the images of three of them as you see fit (provided the images are non-zero and linearly independent), but the fourth is then determined by the condition that
[tex]
A(-3\mathbf{e}_1 -12\mathbf{e}_2 -4\mathbf{e}_3 + \mathbf{e}_4) = -3A(\mathbf{e}_1)
- 12A(\mathbf{e}_2) - 4A(\mathbf{e}_3) + A(\mathbf{e}_4) = 0.
[/tex]

Thank you for your answer but it doesn't make much sense to me since we haven't covered this sort of material in class yet (but they ask questions on it?).

This is how i got my answer (and the program said the final matrix, A, was correct), although i don't fully understand it.
##A
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & -3\\
0 & 1 & 0 & -12\\
1 & 0 & 1 & -4\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}
##

##A=
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 3\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 12\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 4\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}
##

Hey!

If you wanted to find the nullspace, you might notice you have 3 equations and 4 variables. If you were to set up a coefficient matrix and find the specific vector(s) that send this system to the zero vector, you could use those same vectors to identify the entire nullspace.

my problem isn't finding a basis for the nullspace, that is fairly straightforward. My problem is finding/constructing a matrix that has a specific, defined nullspace.

pondzo said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Ax=0

thanks, Michael.
The nullspace you found is a subset of the nullspace of A (assuming it's correct), but the nullspace of A contains vectors that aren't of the form d(-3,-12,-4,1).

Thank you Vela.

If {(-3,-12,-4,-1)} isn't the basis for the nullspace of A then how do i find a full description of the nullspace? and if this is the case why did i get full marks when i entered:
##A=
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 3\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 12\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 4\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}##
because isn't the null space of this matrix of the form d(-3,-12,-4,1)?

pondzo said:
Thank you Vela.

If {(-3,-12,-4,-1)} isn't the basis for the nullspace of A then how do i find a full description of the nullspace?

I think vela is explaining why [4,-1,1,4] is not the right answer.

and if this is the case why did i get full marks when i entered:
##A=
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 3\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 12\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 4\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}##
because isn't the null space of this matrix of the form d(-3,-12,-4,1)?

Yes: By construction that matrix has only a one-dimensional nullspace which is spanned by (-3, -12, -4 ,1).

Related to Find a matrix with S as its nullspace

1. How do you find a matrix with a specified nullspace?

To find a matrix with a specified nullspace, you need to first determine the dimension of the nullspace. Then, construct a matrix with the appropriate number of columns and rows to represent the nullspace. Finally, use elementary row operations to manipulate the matrix until it satisfies the conditions of the specified nullspace.

2. What is the nullspace of a matrix?

The nullspace of a matrix is the set of all vectors that, when multiplied by the matrix, result in a zero vector. In other words, it is the set of all solutions to the homogeneous equation Ax = 0, where A is the given matrix.

3. Can a matrix have more than one nullspace?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple nullspaces. This occurs when the matrix has more columns than rows, resulting in infinitely many solutions to the homogeneous equation Ax = 0. Each solution represents a different nullspace for the matrix.

4. How does the nullspace of a matrix relate to its rank?

The rank of a matrix is the number of linearly independent columns or rows in the matrix. The nullspace is the set of all vectors that are orthogonal to the linearly independent columns or rows. Therefore, the dimension of the nullspace is equal to the number of columns or rows in the matrix minus its rank.

5. Can a matrix have a nullspace of dimension zero?

Yes, a matrix can have a nullspace of dimension zero. This occurs when the matrix has more rows than columns and all of its columns are linearly independent. In this case, the nullspace is simply the zero vector.