Find a direct summand of a finite abelian group

In summary, the conversation discusses the claim that if G is a finite abelian group and x is an element of maximal order, then <x> is a direct summand of G. The conversation also explores a potential proof for this claim, but raises concerns about the proof's validity. Ultimately, it is suggested that the claim may not be true and that removing one of the direct summands may result in a subgroup.
TopCat

Homework Statement

If G is a finite abelian group, and x is an element of maximal order, then <x> is a direct summand of G.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I claim that the hypothesis implies that A = G\<x> [itex]\bigcup[/itex] {e} is a subgroup of G. If so, then since G = < <x> [itex]\bigcup[/itex] A>, and <x> [itex]\bigcap[/itex] A = <e>, that G = <x> [itex]\oplus[/itex] A.

Pf of claim: A is obviously associative, has an identity by definition, and since <x> is a group, b [itex]\in[/itex] A [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] b^-1 [itex]\in[/itex] A. I'm struggling to show that A is closed.

I feel the key is that I must show that if a,b [itex]\in[/itex] G, and [itex]\exists[/itex]x such that ab [itex]\in[/itex] <x>, then [itex]\exists[/itex]y[itex]\in[/itex]G such that a,b [itex]\in[/itex] <y>. Then the maximality of |x| will require y=x, whence A is closed. But I need a nudge here. I just can't get a rigorous proof of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that what you're trying to prove is false. That is: [itex](G\setminus <x>) \cup \{e\}[/itex] is not a subgroup.

Since G is finite abelian, G [itex]\cong[/itex] [itex]\sum[/itex] [itex]\textbf{Z}_{p_{i}^{n_i}}[/itex]. If |x| has maximal order, then isn't A just removing one of the direct summands, so that, say, A [itex]\cong[/itex] [itex]\sum[/itex] [itex]<e> \oplus \textbf{Z}_{p_{i}^{n_i}}[/itex], with [itex] i \geq 2[/itex], which is a subgroup?

Last edited:

Related to Find a direct summand of a finite abelian group

1. What is a direct summand of a finite abelian group?

A direct summand of a finite abelian group is a subgroup that, when combined with another subgroup, forms the original group. In other words, it is a smaller subgroup that is a building block of the larger group.

2. How do you identify a direct summand of a finite abelian group?

To identify a direct summand of a finite abelian group, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Finite Abelian Groups, which states that any finite abelian group can be expressed as a direct sum of cyclic groups. By analyzing the cyclic subgroups of the group, you can identify the direct summands.

3. Why is finding a direct summand important in group theory?

Finding a direct summand of a finite abelian group is important in group theory because it helps break down a complex group into simpler, more manageable parts. This can aid in understanding the overall structure of the group and can also be useful in solving problems and proving theorems.

4. Can a direct summand of a finite abelian group be isomorphic to the original group?

Yes, a direct summand of a finite abelian group can be isomorphic to the original group. This happens when the group is a direct sum of itself and a trivial subgroup, meaning that the subgroup is isomorphic to the original group and contributes nothing new to the structure of the group.

5. How do you use direct summands in practical applications?

Direct summands have various applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. In mathematics, direct summands can be used to study and classify finite abelian groups. In physics, direct summands are used to understand the symmetry and structure of physical systems. In computer science, direct summands are used in coding theory and cryptography.