Find a 2x2 Matrix with given EigenValues

In summary: I did miss the possibility of other eigenvalues. In summary, the conversation discusses finding a 2x2 matrix with all non-zero entries where 3 is an eigenvalue. One approach is to use the eigenvalue equation and choose three entries arbitrarily to determine the fourth. Another approach is to start with a diagonal matrix and use an invertible matrix to remove any zero entries. The Jordan Normal Form can also be used for matrices with repeated eigenvalues, but it is not necessary for this problem.
Jtechguy21

Homework Statement

Find a 2X2 matrix that has all non-zero entries where 3 is an eigenvalue

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well since the 2x2 matrix cannot be triangular, it makes things harder for me.
I have no idea where to start. I am not given any eigenvectors either.
It seems like a simple problem, but I've been stuck on it for a while.

If I did not have the zero entries restriction i would have selected 2x2 matrix
A= {{3,0}{0,3}}τ

Can Someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenvalue equation is for the 2X2 matrix, if written as a system of homogeneous equations, will have a solution if the determinant of the matrix of coefficients is zero. So we have the equation ## \lambda^2-(a+d)\lambda+ad-bc=0## where ## \lambda ## is the given eigenvalue and a,b,c and d are the unknown matrix entries. So we have one equation for four unknowns which means this is an under-determined system. So there are an infinite number of 2X2 matrices with a given eigenvalue. Just choose three of the entries arbitrarily and determine the fourth via the above equation.

thanks for your help Shyan Using that system I was able to solve my problem :)

First, while you said that "3 is an eigenvalue", you did NOT say that it was the only eigenvalue, a double eigenvalue. Even assuming that there are an infinite number of such 2 by 2 matrices. One way to find one is to start with the diagonal matrix [tex]M= \begin{bmatrix}3 & 0 \\ 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]. Now, for any invertible matrix, A, [itex]AMA^{-1}[/itex] will have the same eigenvalues so you only need to choose A so that has no 0 entries.

Completely different solutions can be found by starting, not with a diagonal matrix, but with the "Jordan Normal Form", [tex]M= \begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 \\ 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
First, while you said that "3 is an eigenvalue", you did NOT say that it was the only eigenvalue, a double eigenvalue. Even assuming that there are an infinite number of such 2 by 2 matrices. One way to find one is to start with the diagonal matrix [tex]M= \begin{bmatrix}3 & 0 \\ 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]. Now, for any invertible matrix, A, [itex]AMA^{-1}[/itex] will have the same eigenvalues so you only need to choose A so that has no 0 entries.

If [itex]M[/itex] is a multiple of the identity, then it commutes with [itex]A[/itex] so that [itex]AMA^{-1} = MAA^{-1} = M[/itex], which has zero entries.

Completely different solutions can be found by starting, not with a diagonal matrix, but with the "Jordan Normal Form", [tex]M= \begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 \\ 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

This is necessary if 3 is to be a repeated eigenvalue, but the question doesn't require that.

Good points- thank you.

Related to Find a 2x2 Matrix with given EigenValues

What is a 2x2 matrix?

A 2x2 matrix is a rectangular array of numbers with two rows and two columns. It is commonly used in linear algebra to represent transformations and systems of equations.

What are Eigenvalues?

Eigenvalues are numbers associated with a matrix that represent how the matrix stretches or shrinks a vector when multiplied by it. They are found by solving the characteristic equation of the matrix.

How do I find a 2x2 matrix with given Eigenvalues?

To find a 2x2 matrix with given Eigenvalues, you can use the formula A = PDP-1, where P is a matrix with the corresponding Eigenvectors as columns, and D is a diagonal matrix with the Eigenvalues on the main diagonal.

Can a 2x2 matrix have complex Eigenvalues?

Yes, a 2x2 matrix can have complex Eigenvalues. This is because the characteristic equation of a 2x2 matrix can have complex roots, which will result in complex Eigenvalues.

Why is finding Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors important?

Finding Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors can be useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as in solving systems of differential equations, analyzing the stability of dynamical systems, and understanding the behavior of linear transformations. It also has applications in quantum mechanics and computer graphics.