Final Vote: Choose Icon to Represent Theme

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary: Andre got my vote. If anyone mentions the Netherlands/Holland a windmill is the first image that pops into my mind.

FINAL VOTE - Icons

• twisting_edge

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Andre

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • ZapperZ

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Moonbear

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • hypnagogue

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • GeoMike

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
This promises to be a difficult final vote. So good luck to everyone.

Please vote for the picture that BEST REPRESENTS the theme of this contest. The picture must be a well-known icon that is identifiable with a particular location, city, or country.

1. twisting_edge
GCT.jpg

2. Andre
http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/icons.jpg

3. ZapperZ
IMG_3143.jpg

4. Moonbear
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5437/nycap0.jpg

5. hypnagogue
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2774/sanyx1.jpg

6. GeoMike
http://www.mcschell.com/phl2.jpg

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=138960"

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Andre got my vote. If anyone mentions the Netherlands/Holland a windmill is the first image that pops into my mind.

-GeoMike-

GeoMike said:
Andre got my vote. If anyone mentions the Netherlands/Holland a windmill is the first image that pops into my mind.

-GeoMike-
Same here! It's not surprising that the Empire State Building and the Eiffel Tower might be considered icons, since they are recognizable entities, but in this case some anonymous wind-powered mills can evoke thoughts of a specific country/region.

Andre got my vote, too.

Not even I voted for my own entry (although someone else did, I see).

The only other one that is readily identifiable (without the name being spelled out) as from a particular location is the NYC skyline, and even that one isn't really a classic perpective. The Pan Am building is more easily identified from that perspective (if you know what it looks like) than the towers.

I guess not many here are fond of taking cliche' pictures. (Having ridden down the others, including my own, I figured I'd take a stab at the clear winner: I'm an equal opportunity grouch.)

Last edited:
Now, now... no need to be grouchy. Just let icons be icons and get on with it.

I went with Andre

I liked MB's the best

I like twisting_edge's entry. GC is easy to recognize.

I Voted for ZaperZ. That is a great shot man, reminds me of downtown DC. Just next time, try not to get the back of that guys head. :wink:

Awesome pictures everyone!

You have 2 days left to vote in this contest, if you haven't done so already. There is a very tight fight for 2nd place, so every vote counts!

Zz.

Related to Final Vote: Choose Icon to Represent Theme

1. What is the purpose of the "Final Vote: Choose Icon to Represent Theme"?

The purpose of this vote is to select an icon that will represent a specific theme or concept. This icon will be used in various materials, such as presentations, publications, and websites, to visually represent the chosen theme.

2. How can I participate in the final vote?

To participate in the final vote, you must be a registered member of the voting panel. This panel is typically made up of individuals who have expertise in the chosen theme or concept. The panel will receive a link to the voting platform and instructions on how to cast their vote.

3. How many icons are typically included in the final vote?

The number of icons included in the final vote can vary depending on the specific project or organization. However, it is common to have at least three options to choose from to ensure a diverse selection for the voters.

4. What criteria are used to select the icons for the final vote?

The criteria for selecting icons for the final vote can vary, but generally, they should be relevant to the chosen theme or concept, visually appealing, and easily recognizable. The icons should also be able to effectively convey the intended message or idea.

5. Can I suggest an icon for the final vote?

In most cases, the icons included in the final vote are pre-selected by a team or committee. However, if you have a suggestion for an icon that meets the criteria and has not been included, you can reach out to the organizers and submit your suggestion for consideration.