Final Velocity of a Spaceship Approaching Earth from Infinity Due to Gravity

In summary, the speed of a spaceship arriving at the surface of Earth from an infinitely large distance while the Earth is at rest and alone in the universe can be calculated using the equation v=\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{x}} + C, where G is the gravitational constant and x is the distance from the center of the Earth. The limits of integration should be from infinity to the radius of the Earth and the units used must be consistent.
Luke1121

Homework Statement

Assuming the Earth is at rest and alone in the universe what speed would a spaceship arriving at the surface of Earth from an infinitley large distance be if the speed at infinity= 0 and acceleration is caused only by gravity

Homework Equations

[itex]F= \frac{GmM}{x^2}[/itex]
Also using the chain rule [itex]a=v\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

well I set ma equal to the force due to gravity so

[itex]v\frac{dv}{dx}= \frac{GM}{x^2}[/itex]

seperating the variables gives [itex]vdv=\frac{GM}{x^2}dx[/itex]

then

[itex]\int vdv=GM\int x^{-2} dx[/itex]

would the limits of integration need to be from infinity to the surface of the earth, or am i on the wrong track all together?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing fine. Just do the integral as you suggest.

You're on the right track. But you might need to be careful with signs. [Edit: I see haruspex beat me :smile:]

Likes 1 person
Ok, then doing the indefinite integral gives [itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{x}} + C[/itex]

but I'm not sure about the limits, would it be [itex]\frac{1}{2}v^2=-GM\int_{\infty}^{6370}x^{-2}[/itex]

where 6370 is the radius of the Earth in km?
Thanks

Luke1121 said:
Ok, then doing the indefinite integral gives [itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{x}} + C[/itex]

but I'm not sure about the limits, would it be [itex]\frac{1}{2}v^2=-GM\int_{\infty}^{6370}x^{-2}[/itex]

where 6370 is the radius of the Earth in km?
Thanks
The limit is the radius of the Earth. What units you use are up to you, so long as you are consistent. I would think your value for G assumes m, not km.
I think you have a sign wrong above. The minus sign should only appear after performing the integral.

Likes 1 person

Related to Final Velocity of a Spaceship Approaching Earth from Infinity Due to Gravity

1. What is the formula for calculating final velocity due to gravity?

The formula for calculating final velocity due to gravity is Vf = Vi + gt, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its final velocity due to gravity?

The mass of an object does not affect its final velocity due to gravity. All objects, regardless of their mass, will experience the same acceleration due to gravity.

3. Is final velocity due to gravity affected by air resistance?

Yes, final velocity due to gravity is affected by air resistance. As an object falls, it experiences air resistance which can slow down its acceleration and therefore affect its final velocity.

4. How does the height from which an object is dropped affect its final velocity due to gravity?

The height from which an object is dropped does not directly affect its final velocity due to gravity. However, objects dropped from higher heights will have a longer distance to accelerate and therefore may reach a higher final velocity.

5. What is the difference between final velocity and terminal velocity?

Final velocity is the velocity an object reaches after a given amount of time under the influence of gravity. Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity an object can reach when the forces of gravity and air resistance are balanced. Objects will continue to fall at terminal velocity until they reach the ground or experience a change in forces.