Final Temperature of Ideal Gas in Constant Pressure and Volume Compression

In summary, a container of gas at 3.90atm pressure and 136 ∘C is compressed at constant temperature until the volume is halved, then further compressed at constant pressure until the volume is halved again. The final temperature of the gas can be found by converting the temperature to an absolute scale (such as Kelvin), halving it, and then converting it back to degrees Celsius. The correct answer is 68 degrees Celsius.
chicagobears34

Homework Statement

A container of gas at 3.90atm pressure and 136 ∘C is compressed at constant temperature until the volume is halved. It is then further compressed at constant pressure until the volume is halved again.
What is the final temperature of the gas?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

seems like a very easy question, but I'm doing Mastering Physics and it is saying I am wrong.
the volume is being halved and the pressure remains constant, so shouldn't the temperature just be halved also?
I got 68 degrees celsius as my answer, but Mastering Physics says it is wrong and I should check my signs but that shouldn't be an issue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget to convert the temperature to an absolute scale (such as Kelvin) before you start the calculations. Then remember to convert it back to deg C when you're finished. :wink:

thanks collinsmark! totally forgot about that :p

Related to Final Temperature of Ideal Gas in Constant Pressure and Volume Compression

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of a gas. It is often written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the universal gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What is the Ideal Gas Law used for?

The Ideal Gas Law is used to calculate the properties of an ideal gas, such as pressure, volume, and temperature, at any given state. It is also used to predict the behavior of gases under different conditions, and to compare the properties of different gases.

3. What is the Ideal Gas Container Problem?

The Ideal Gas Container Problem is a thought experiment that involves a closed container filled with an ideal gas. The problem asks how the pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas will change if one of these variables is altered while the others remain constant.

4. How is the Ideal Gas Container Problem solved?

The Ideal Gas Container Problem can be solved using the Ideal Gas Law and the concept of the gas constant. By manipulating the equation PV = nRT, we can solve for the unknown variable and determine how changes in one variable will affect the others.

5. What are the assumptions made in the Ideal Gas Container Problem?

The Ideal Gas Container Problem assumes that the gas is in a closed container, that there are no intermolecular forces between gas molecules, and that the gas particles have negligible volume. It also assumes that the gas follows the Ideal Gas Law perfectly, which is only true for ideal gases at low pressures and high temperatures.