Films of historical significance

In summary, the Library of Congress announced [25] selections for the National Film Registry, which began in 1989 to preserve films with artistic, cultural or historical significance. Some notable films on the list include Airplane, The Empire Strikes Back, and Saturday Night Fever. However, there are some omissions, such as Fritz Lang's Metropolis and Schindler's List, which may not be eligible due to the requirement of being at least 10 years old. The legislation's intent is to include a broad range of films, but it seems that the majority of the selections are American productions.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... The Library of Congress announced the [25] selections early Tuesday. The goal of the registry, which began in 1989, isn’t to identify the best movies ever made but to preserve films with artistic, cultural or historical significance...
http://www.vindy.com/news/2010/dec/29/registry-selects-25-films/

•Airplane (1980)
•All the President’s Men (1976)
•The Bargain (1914)
•Cry of Jazz (1959)
•Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB (1967)
•The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
•The Exorcist (1973)
•The Front Page (1931)
•Grey Gardens (1976)
•I Am Joaquin (1969)
•It’s a Gift (1934)
•Let There Be Light (1946)
•Lonesome (1928)
•Make Way For Tomorrow (1937)
•Malcolm X (1992)
•McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971)
•Newark Athlete (1891)
•Our Lady of the Sphere (1969)
•The Pink Panther (1964)
•Preservation of the Sign Langauge (1913)
•Saturday Night Fever (1977)
•Study of a River (1996)
•Tarantella (1940)
•A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945)
•A Trip Down Market Street (1906)

What would you add and is it already included? One glaring omission that I noticed is Fritz Lang's, Metropolis.
http://www.loc.gov/film/titles.html

◦The Librarian/Board will continue to select up to 25 “culturally, historically or aesthetically significant films” each year for the National Film Registry. To be eligible, films must be at least 10 years old, though they need not be feature-length or have had a theatrical release in order to be considered. The legislation’s intent is that the broadest possible range of films be eligible for consideration.
http://www.loc.gov/film/filmabou.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting that Metropolis is not on the list... I wonder if the films must be "American", because 'Nosferatu' is not on the list, either.

Andy Resnick said:
Interesting that Metropolis is not on the list... I wonder if the films must be "American", because 'Nosferatu' is not on the list, either.

I thought I saw a couple of foreign films, such as The March of Time inside Nazi Germany, but it turns out that was a US production, so perhaps this is US only.

I would have added Schindler's List but seems like it is not local.

They have been adding 25 films a year since 1989, so a lot of "omissions" actually are on the list already, including Schindler's list.

http://www.loc.gov/film/titles.html

Related to Films of historical significance

What is considered a film of historical significance?

A film of historical significance is a movie that has had a lasting impact on society, culture, and/or the film industry. It can also refer to a movie that portrays a significant event or time period in history.

How are films of historical significance chosen?

Films of historical significance are typically chosen through a combination of critical acclaim, box office success, and influence on future films. They may also be selected based on their cultural and historical significance.

What makes a film historically significant?

A film can be considered historically significant if it accurately portrays a past event or time period, addresses important social or political issues, or introduces groundbreaking techniques or themes in filmmaking.

Why are films of historical significance important?

Films of historical significance provide insight into different eras and cultures, educate audiences on important historical events, and help us better understand the evolution of cinema as an art form.

Can films of historical significance still be relevant today?

Yes, films of historical significance can still be relevant today as they often address timeless themes and issues that are still relevant in modern society. They also serve as a reminder of our past and the lessons we can learn from it.

Back