Files appearing in google drive without my input

In summary, the three files appearing in "quick access" on a computer that was not explicitly downloaded them but were perhaps downloaded as part of a java script running somewhere on the computer, or maybe they are malware, are labeled with .dll or .xul extensions. They are often seen as a potential threat, but disabling the "quick access" feature fixes the issue.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Today for the first time in my Google Drive there appear several files in "quick access" labeled "you downloaded this month" although I did not explicitly download them, but were perhaps downloaded as part of a java script running somewhere on my computer, or maybe they are malware, that is the question. They are often labeled with .dll or .xul extensions. I do not see a way to get my virus scanner to scan them. Should I just delete them, or (if they are legit) would this disable something on my computer? I do not understand why something that is downloaded onto my computer should end up in Drive anyway without my specifically putting it there. Nor do I understand the "quick access" showing something that does not show up in the rest of the lists of my files. Any hints?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think it may be a virus, but I suggest waiting to delete them after someone else responds. Do not open them or do anything with them until someone else responds. But did the downloads come with a name of some kind? Like say nameofprogram.dll.

Likes nomadreid
Yes, the three appearing at the moment are overlay.xul, jqs_plugin.dll, and jvm.dll
I must admit that when I first saw these, I unwisely deleted two of them, but like the hydra's heads, two more took the deleted ones' places. So far the sky has not fallen on my head, but I am nonetheless wary of deleting more of them without some kind of idea as to what I am doing.

nomadreid said:
Today for the first time in my Google Drive there appear several files in "quick access" labeled "you downloaded this month" although I did not explicitly download them, but were perhaps downloaded as part of a java script running somewhere on my computer, or maybe they are malware, that is the question. They are often labeled with .dll or .xul extensions. I do not see a way to get my virus scanner to scan them. Should I just delete them, or (if they are legit) would this disable something on my computer? I do not understand why something that is downloaded onto my computer should end up in Drive anyway without my specifically putting it there. Nor do I understand the "quick access" showing something that does not show up in the rest of the lists of my files. Any hints?

nomadreid said:
Yes, the three appearing at the moment are overlay.xul, jqs_plugin.dll, and jvm.dll

overlay.xul is a file used to describe extra content in the UI for Mozilla browser. jqs_plugin.dll is a browser quick start Java program . As far as I know it appeared in version 6.11 (back in the Sun Microsystems era). jvm.dll is a Java module associated with Java 2 Standard Edition platform.
Now, the first one is associated with your browser and the last two are associated with applications you downloaded, that use them. Normally, they are legitimate files but for the last two files it may be the case that someone found a way to pass a malware through them (e.g. in the form of a trojan horse that appears legitimate but at some point opens "holes" and downloads the real threat).

You can disable the "quick access" feature if you want by going to your Google Drive account from a web interface, selecting the "settings" gear icon, clicking "Settings" and then finding the “Quick Access” feature and unchecking the box next to “Make relevant files handy when you need them.”.

From an iPhone, you can open Google Drive, go to "Menu", select "Settings", tap on "Quick access" and tap on the toggle switch next to “Enable Quick Access” to disable it. For Android the procedure is quite similar.

Likes StoneTemplePython and nomadreid
Super! Thanks for both the explanations and the instructions, which I have just followed successfully. OK, issue fixed!

1. Why are files appearing in my Google Drive without my input?

There could be several reasons for this. It's possible that someone with access to your Google Drive account is uploading the files without your knowledge. It's also possible that the files are being automatically synced from another device or application. Another possibility is that the files are being shared with you by someone else.

2. How can I stop files from appearing in my Google Drive without my permission?

To prevent unauthorized files from appearing in your Google Drive, you should ensure that your account is secure and that you are the only one with access. You can also check your Google Drive settings and disable any automatic syncing or sharing features. Additionally, you can set up notifications to alert you when new files are added to your Drive.

3. Are these files a security threat?

It's important to investigate the source of the files to determine if they pose a security threat. If the files are from a trusted source or are being shared with you by a known contact, they are likely safe. However, if you do not recognize the files or the source, it's best to delete them and change your account password to ensure your account is secure.

4. Can I track who is adding files to my Google Drive?

Yes, you can track who is adding files to your Google Drive by checking the file's activity history. This will show you when the file was added and by whom. You can also set up notifications to alert you when new files are added, which can help you stay on top of any unauthorized activity.

5. What should I do if I suspect a security breach?

If you suspect that someone has gained unauthorized access to your Google Drive and is adding files without your permission, you should take immediate action. This includes changing your account password, revoking access to any suspicious devices or applications, and contacting Google support for further assistance.