Is mixing Google Docs and MS Office causing formatting issues?

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary: I have had this experience too. I use Google docs for my personal work, but I always create a PDF version of my presentations in case anything goes wrong. It's just a precaution.In summary, using Google Docs for a presentation can be a challenge. The interface is good, but it doesn't work well with MS Office or the office on OSX. Always check your presentation out before you try to present, and have a backup version of the presentation in case something goes wrong.
WiFO215
I had to deliver a presentation last week. As I didn't have access to MS Office, I decided I'd do my presentation on Google docs. The interface itself is very good and I am used to it. We were told to bring our presentations on a flash drive to insert into the computer connected to the projector. This computer did have MS Office. I downloaded my presentation to .pptx format from docs just before my presentation started and found that the entire thing was garbled! I had to run elsewhere to get someone's laptop, find a wifi spot, connect to docs and load the presentation there, all while professors were waiting in the auditorium. Very embarrassing!
This is a major problem with Google Docs. It doesn't play well with MS Office or the office on OSX. I should have expected this as something similar happened when I edited my CV using docs and then with MS Office last time. It totally ruined my formatting and was a headache to fix.

This is just a heads up to all those out there to keep in mind to use either GDocs alone or only MS Office. Mixing = pain.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Here's a better heads up. Always check your presentation out exactly as its going to be before you try to present.

And always have both an online and a USB stick version that you trust to work. So many things can go wrong and you'll never be recognized for being well prepared... But you'll be recognized for not being prepared!

Good advice. I learned the hard way. Thanks!

I've had this frustration before trying to go between Google Docs, LibreOffice, Open Office and MS Office. For anything professional it's best to stick with MS Office. I hate to say it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I hate to say it.

:smile:

If you don't have any dynamic content, I would save the presentation as a PDF.

Personally, I do all of my presentations using LaTeX-beamer.

jhae2.718 said:
If you don't have any dynamic content, I would save the presentation as a PDF.

Good point!

Well, i think both the tools would differ with the file formats. I too faced some challenges while using Excel and Google docs. When I was in my previous company I had to share the sales report to my team and also to my boss, so I made the report on Excel and for sharing used Google docs. And the format had changed n data had scrambled.
The problem was when i used Excel I couldn't play with transient data and with Google docs I had no option of sending parts of my spreadsheet data. It simple increased redundancy.

Related to Is mixing Google Docs and MS Office causing formatting issues?

1. What is the difference between Google Docs and MS Office?

Google Docs is a cloud-based productivity suite offered by Google, while MS Office is a desktop-based productivity suite offered by Microsoft. Google Docs can be accessed from any device with an internet connection, while MS Office requires installation on a specific device.

2. Can I use Google Docs and MS Office together?

Yes, you can use Google Docs and MS Office together. You can import MS Office documents into Google Docs and export Google Docs documents into MS Office formats.

3. Is Google Docs or MS Office better for collaboration?

Google Docs is better for collaboration as it allows multiple users to work on the same document in real-time. MS Office requires documents to be saved and shared, which can cause version control issues.

4. Which one is more cost-effective, Google Docs or MS Office?

Google Docs is more cost-effective as it is free for personal use and offers affordable subscription plans for businesses. MS Office requires a one-time purchase or a subscription, which can be more expensive in the long run.

5. Are there any security concerns with using Google Docs?

Google Docs has strong security measures in place to protect user data. However, as it is a cloud-based platform, there is a potential risk of data breaches. It is recommended to use strong passwords and enable two-factor authentication for added security.